Reno Tahoe Spotting | 22 & 31/3/19

Hey all!

This was not a normal spotting trip for me, this was the first time I had used manual settings for my spotting photos. Previously I had only used AUTO, so this time I decided to use manual to see what types of photos I could get. Tell me what you think!

#1 XOJets CL30

More Details

Reg: N539XJ
Owner: Bank Of Utah Trustee
Operator: XOJets
Route: SJC>RNO
Flight Time: 0hr 36min

#2 Alaska Horizon E175L

More Details

Reg: N402SY
Owner: SkyWest Airlines INC.
Operator: SkyWest Airlines
Route: SJC>RNO
Flight Time: 0hr 57min

#3 American Express E175L

More Details

Reg: N200NN
Owner: American Airlines INC.
Operator: Compass Airlines
Route: LAX>RNO
Flight Time: 1hr 18min

#4 Southwest B738

More Details

Reg: N8665D
Owner: Southwest Airlines CO.
Operator: Southwest
Route: DAL>RNO
Flight Time: 3hr 33min

#5 Frontier A32N

More Details

Reg: N346FR
Owner: Wells Fargo Trust Company NA Trustee
Operator: Frontier
Route: DEN>RNO
Flight Time: 2hr 10min

#6 FedEx B763F

More Details

Reg: N153FE
Owner: Federal Express Corp.
Operator: FedEx
Route: MEM>RNO
Flight Time: 4hr 01min

#7 Delta B752

More Details

Reg: N546US
Owner: Delta Airlines INC.
Operator: Delta Airlines
Route: ATL>RNO
Flight Time: 5hr 04min

#8 FedEx B763F (2)

More Details

Reg: N153FE
Owner: Federal Express Corp.
Operator: FedEx
Route: MEM>RNO
Flight Time: 4hr 01min

Please tell me which one(s) I should attempt to upload to JetPhotos, it would be very much appreciated.

Tell me which one was your favorite!

0 voters

Thanks for taking a look!

-Jeffrey

34 Likes

Those are great! If I had to say one weak spot it would be #1, by far the worst picture, but by far the worst photography conditions…

(And it was still pretty good, just behind the others…)

1 Like

Thanks a lot! I do agree, it was an ugly day.

1 Like

hey you know what go for it all. what’s not to loose with your photography ;)

1 Like

So after a deeper dive into there rules, and a careful look at you’re photos, I’d say the Southwest, and FedEx’s are you’re best. They’re spot on. Exposure, framing, focus, the works. The rest seem, like maby you’re shutter speed was too low, or maby a tad out of focus, just a touch blurry. For a photo just to keep they’re still excellent, but JetPhotos is super strict. But then again as far as I know you don’t stand to lose anything by taking the risk. I’d say #1 is the lowest chance, but as I said before, crummy conditions, definitely not you’re fult…

3 Likes

I agree, some parts of some photos are out of focus. I had forgot to set it to focus on the whole aircraft, not just a little bit. Thanks a lot!

2 Likes

One tip, if you open the apature up it will broaden the focus range. Now, it also brightens the photo, so exposure needs changed, etc. but just a pro tip

2 Likes

I had it around 9-11 I think, I could have put it to 22. I should do that next time. But if I do that, I will need to lower the shutter speed and probably need a tripod. I will play around with the settings on April 20th at PDX as I will have more time to play around with settings.

2 Likes

Lowering the shutter speed also could result in the plane being blurry since it moves pretty quick…

2 Likes

Thats my issue. I think you have to find a perfect balance, or just have a steady hand (which I do if I really try).

2 Likes

Ya, taking pictures of fast moving, large, but also sometimes very far away things with the sky as a background is hard no matter how you shake it. You’re certainly on the right track, and don’t mistake my tips for saying those are bad photos. I’d honestly say you’re top 5-10 on IFC, and that’s certainly saying something…

2 Likes

Thanks a lot! I cannot wait to spot at PDX with manual again!

1 Like

Just make sure you’re not experimenting on the cool planes. If there’s a plane/livery you really want to see use auto if that’s what it takes, but make sure you know you’ll get a good shot, otherwise have fun!

2 Likes

Exactly, thats what I did at Reno, I got the settings pretty alright on the E175’s and 738. Hoping for a 748 at PDX!

1 Like

Great photos Jeffrey! I was in Reno in January, but I couldn’t spot because it was a school trip (sort of). What spot was this and is it easy to access? Thanks and keep the photos coming!

1 Like

Oh yes! This was easy to access! It was in a gravel lot on Greg St. It gets all 16R arrivals (that’s the runway that all the best planes use).

1 Like

I think you should ether upload the Southwest 737-800 or the FedEx 767-300f but the decision is entirely up to you:)
BTWGreat pictures!

1 Like

Thanks a lot! I actually just uploaded them haha

1 Like

Nice captures! Nicely framed with little empty spce around the aircraft

I wouldn’t recommend shooting at F22, simply because on many lenses this actually softens the image, most lenses are typically sharpest around the F8 mark.

This will also significantly reduce the amount of light meaning you will have to compensate either by boosting your ISO and/or shooting slower shutter speeds

A general rule of thumb to negate camera shake and help gain sharp images when shooting at long focal lengths is:

Minimum Shutter Speed (sec) = 1/Focal Length (mm)

So at 200mm you should as a minimum shoot at least 1/200sec

Hope that helps… Good job though for first time in manual mode! Look forward to seeing more!

1 Like

Thanks for the advice! I actually have a 55-210 lens so your advice was perfect.

1 Like