Reminiscing my First Solo

Hey all,

After a nine month hiatus from IF, I’m back! What an eventful time it’s been. Six months ago, I completed my first solo, and today I thought it was finally time to talk about it.

Leaning on the canopy after soloing for the first time.

After five years of waiting to be old enough, doing casual training, I soloed on December 1st 2020 at fifteen hours flight time. The solo lasted an hour, doing circuits over my hometown, nailing the crosswind touch and goes, and enjoying peace and quiet in the air. The aircraft was a Grumman AA1b, which I absolutely adore.

After the first circuit, a helicopter pilot on the ground radioed with a message from my instructor to switch runways since the wind had flipped. I counted three circuits from the other direction, and while I was on final to do a full stop, I got a message again to do another ‘few’ circuits. After this I lost count, and just kept going up until I got a low fuel warning on the right tank. I was enjoying myself far too much!
After switching tanks and doing one more touch and go, I finally landed full stop and got a bit of an earful for staying up so long. Thankfully my instructor wasn’t mad at all, and all that happened was that I became the butt of a joke among the local pilots who were watching me fly.

After this, I spent a couple months preparing and subsequently moving to the city for University, and so I haven’t flown since my solo. My first semester (or as my uni calls it, trimester) is close to finishing and I’m looking forward to flying again in the mid year break. I’m currently aiming to finish my PPL in the three month summer holidays.

Anyway, it’s good to be back in the community and back on IF. See you all around!

Mods: if this is in the wrong category, please let me know! I’ve been inactive for a long while and can’t quite remember all the rules. Reminiscing my First Solo…

11 Likes

Awesome bro
And welcome back to the Community

1 Like

Thanks! Can’t wait to get back into it.

Glad to hear it

Nice! I did my first solo about a year ago and it is definitely a day I will never forget for as long as I live

1 Like

It’s the coolest experience!

Congratulations! 👏

1 Like

Thank you!!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.