Remembrance Sunday 11/11/18

Good Morning
As many of you are aware, today, Sunday the 11th of November is Remeberance Day this year.

Remembrance Sunday is held in the United Kingdom as a day “to commemorate the contribution of British and Commonwealth military and civilian servicemen and women in the two World Wars and later conflicts”. It is held on the second Sunday in November, the Sunday nearest to 11 November, the anniversary of the end of hostilities of war.”

In the UK, at 11pm GMT, we hold a 2 minutes silence every year to reflect on and remember those that have passed during both the first and second war.
For me, this is something I take very seriously. My Great Great Grandfather passed in the first war, My Great Grandfather was a prisoner of war in the second, and my Uncle sustained life changing issues in Afghanistan.

It’s is a time to remember all that have passed, and to honour those still fighting in every land and nation around the world.

Today at 10.59z, BAVA is hosting a 2 minutes silence in slack to commemorate this day.
It would be outstanding and warming if other VAs, and also this community could help us remember by going completely silent for 2 minutes. It’s a small thing we do for those that have given us so much.

These words are spoken on Remembrance Day.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning

We will remember them."

Thank you.

36 Likes

It is always exciting for me these days, to remember the victims of World War 1 and the heroes and survivors of that war.

I hope we do not go back in those days

2 Likes

I also live in the UK, and this is also something my family takes very seriously!

1 Like

For anyone kind enough to partake, it starts in 4 minutes!

2 Likes

I live on the other side of the world in Australia, and as a military and history buff, I also take it very seriously.

1 Like

Thank you to anyone that helped to honour the ceremony. it means a lot.

1 Like

I watched the armistice ceremony on the TV under the l’Arc de Triumph in Paris. Enjoyed seeing it, it’s great to see the presidents from different countries unified.

1 Like

Thank you to all who took part in this ‘silence’. I would like to reiterate what Dan said,

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning

We will remember them."

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.