Remaining in the Pattern?

I have been controlling at KSFO and KJFK on TS1 for the past few days, and I have been noticing the same problem over and over again. People would asking for TO clearance, say they were planning on staying in the pattern (fine as the airport isn’t busy), and then departing in whichever way their flight plan stated. I would just like to say for all those that don’t understand what remaining in the pattern means, it is this simple: you basically circle the airport with intentions to do a touch and go or another landing at that airport. I don’t know why people don’t understand this, but hopefully this will at least help someone from making that mistake.

5 Likes

Hello,

Thanks for the reminder. We do have to remember that training server is where people are pilots are trying to learn and where mistakes happen and are perfectly okay. We have to exercise patience with the pilots that want to learn and train for expert server.

4 Likes

I can agree with you, but I did see some grade 3s making the same mistake

Fair but grade doesn’t necessarily equate to skill. Just how long they have been playing

4 Likes

A lot of people just don’t understand what remaining in the pattern means, but Training Server is for learning. Great to see you controlling though, keep up the great work!

3 Likes

Yeah, glad I put this up, like I said, hopefully help some people at least understand the basics of a traffic pattern

Happens on Expert a lot aswell. Atleast a few times every session

2 Likes

If ATC got paid a cent every time someone wrongly uses “remaining in the pattern” IFATC Officer would have been renamed to IFATC Millionaire

11 Likes

i would instantly sign up

2 Likes

Would love to see this only in the training server, but unfortunately there are some people who ask this in expert too :/

1 Like

Maybe not after taxes, but I get where you’re coming from

1 Like

Hahaha! So true!

Yeah this definitely isn’t just a TS issue… I’m tired of people claiming pattern and then going wherever they want on Expert too. Unfortunately, those people aren’t typically even on the forum, and don’t have access to this information, and don’t even know what they’re going wrong.

3 Likes

Yeah, I agree. I wish this was more widely known, or that maybe they could have required documents you have to read before being allowed on ES?

Exactly. And when I send Check Tutorial message, I can almost guarantee you that nobody ever does…

1 Like

Yeah then that’s not a big issue. But when you have pilots that know they’re making the same mistake over and over, and keep getting the tutorial message, then that’s where there’s an issue

1 Like

Just need to bump this topic back to the top. Now even on expert server I’m still getting requests for remaining in the pattern when they’re not. Like I said in the original post, maybe this can help someone understand what remaining in the pattern means.

Same thing with departing straight out. They say that but then immediately turn after takeoff

1 Like

A common mistake/understanding among beginner folks is that remaining in the pattern to them means I’m in line, don’t forget about me. While the user guide does explain what it is, a lot of people I think won’t go read up on it. You’re more than welcome to, however, reach out to people who do make this mistake (assuming they have an account here) and address it.

1 Like

I’ve seen that too, but remaining in the pattern is what really gets me ticked off

1 Like