"Remaining In The Pattern" Meaning

Ok this scenario happens all the time. Someone will request for takeoff and state that they are remaining in the pattern. However, once they takeoff they continue to climb, gaining airspeed and altitude and eventually leave my airspace. Redefining the term “Remaining in The Pattern” means that you will be staying in the airport traffic pattern; meaning that you will enter upwind, crosswind, downwind, base, and final. The airport should always remain in sight. This is mostly used if you want to practice touch and goes and other pattern operations. Commonly mistaken on IF

10 Likes

Disregard my post, i misread your thread.

Very good point!

2 Likes

I know right! it’s so annoying

1 Like

If you are at a non towered airport, continue the runway heading until you have passed pattern altitude (which is usually 1,000 ft.) and start the turn then. Flap usage varies depending what type of plane your flying. In a Cessna 172 I usually will touchdown with full flaps just like a normal landing and then while I’m on the roll I will raise them up to 10 degrees and set the power again for liftoff.

1 Like

In real life you would never do pattern work at KLAX but on IF, hmmm!! And then when someone really means the command, I don’t know if they do or not.

2 Likes

Well hopefully I answered your question anyway!! LOL

1 Like

Haha I thought you were asking the question when I read your title so I added a link to a tutorial i just made. :P

I didn’t put a question mark LOL!! That should have gave it away!!

1 Like

I somtimes accidentally request remaining in the patern sometimes because im so used to remaining in the patern. I dotm reall fly outside airports

Really good point and i see this all the time and it’s annoying,but not crossing you,but kinda similar, “Frequency Change”…people request this almost right after T/O and then they fly forever and still on your frequency,i just wished that when they pass that outer blue ring,that they no longer are clogging up space on my frequency…but apart from that…well said.

Your right that’s another thing. Sometimes people will fly for 10 minutes or more without switching frequencies. Making my list of tower frequency planes way longer than it should be. I totally understand where your coming from!

2 Likes