Regional Airlines Call Signs

So I’ve been trying to do my research for a couple days but I can’t seem to figure out when regional airlines use their callsigns instead of the big name call signs. For instance Delta and their regional jets. I’ve seen many CRJs with Delta call signs instead of “Endeavor”, or “Sky West”. Could someone please educate me on when they use those call signs? I don’t like to be that guy with the completely wrong call sign for the airline I’m flying.

1 Like

Hey! Delta doesn’t operate their own regional jets, that is done by airlines like Sky West or Endeavor Air. Those are their callsigns which are used when planes are flown by them.

Hey mate,

Airlines use these callsigns when those companies such as Sky West operator the flight. For example, it may be a Delta aircraft that is being used on the route, but is being operated as part of Sky West, therefore they would utilise and use the Sky West callsign. These callsigns that you have mentioned above are utilised mostly on regional flights.

1 Like

So it boils down to who’s flying the plane, not what’s painted on the side, ie “Delta Connection”?

Exactly what Declan and Karp mentioned. Just because a regional aircraft is painted in the colors of Delta or American, doesn’t mean they use the callsign associated with that airline livery. The majors don’t operate regional flights. The regional flights are contracted out to other airlines who provide services under the parent company which is why we have Mesa, Envoy, Endeavor, PSA, Air Wisconsin, Piedmont, Skywest, Republic, etc.

3 Likes

The “contract” is the word that made it all make sense! That’s for the help and understanding all!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.