"Region Of The Week"

Like many of you I’ve seen that Southern California is all too often the only place to fly and have Advanced ATC services on a regular basis. This prompted me to consider a casual way to encourage both controllers and pilots to try other regions more often. It makes sense that pilots will want to go where the controllers and traffic are. Well, did you know that you pilots actually have more persuasive power than controllers to enable change? It’s true. There are way more pilots than controllers on the Advanced ATC server. You don’t have to always go to them. As you prefer to fly among others, they too want to engage with others.
So if you think about it, and then act by taking the bold step on to the empty dance floor…others will follow.

To get the ball rolling I will help nudge folks a little bit to break away from the SoCal comfort zone. It’s simple. Every Friday we have Friday Night Flight events. I try to spread them out among the different regions to help with introducing people to them in a fun way. I’ll take that one small step further by suggesting each FNF event to use the events region as the “Region Of The Week”. Starting with this weeks (Aug. 7th) FNF event. The FNF region will also be the Region Of The Week until the next FNF, repeating the cycle. Hopefully this will inspire more of us to explore more often. If pilots go somewhere else in large numbers, trust me, controllers won’t want to sit around only SoCal while more people are enjoying new sights in another region.

There is no prize or penalty whether you participate or not, only better chances of collectively changing the scenery. So how about it? Can you give it a shot?

15 Likes

Excellent post!!! Great idea having Region of the week, a break needs to be made sometime and hopefully what you have written above will work, as you mentioned there are a lot of different things to see in the other regions. (Eg) even something as small as making different flight plans instead of repeated LAX to SAN,

1 Like

It is an awesome idea. I can’t stand flying from SAN - LAX. And around the Southern Californian region. I need more character and difference and normally from picking the most popular region (Southern California) it does not “feel right”

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

@DIsraelFDS I hope St Maarten is on the first list, if that was real life. People would be on the beach 10hrs straight!

1 Like

It’s an Awesome Idea. Idk why Pilots want to Spawning on LA Reg Especially KLAX. Sometimes, San Francisco “Taking Control” of LA Crowd. I Never See Another Regions like Singapore, Chicago, Caribbean, Amsterdam, Sydney etc Got LA’s Crowd

1 Like

They do Southern California and San Francisco because they both contain fairly large INTL airports, and…

They’re FREE!

1 Like

I think this is a great idea and I agree with it in 100%! I find SC region boring now, got fed up with it, because it the main region by far too many times. Time for other ones to be used!

1 Like

Great idea. We do try to get everyone out of SoCal on the advanced server by trying to implement informal regions of the day in that chats but people still go to SoCal //:

1 Like

Yes! Maybe one day FNF will be in New York region. It’s never been there and I live in a part of the region.

great idea!!!

1 Like

I’ve had a few FNFs in the New York region. There will be more.

1 Like

Nothing wrong with that, but I’m not going to limit things based on whether or not a region is free.

2 Likes

Love this part “step on to the empty dance floor” :p I went flying in Denver adv server last night and there was alot of traffic so that was good to see for a change. Good controllers aswell. As has been mentioned above I think the fact that SoCal is free plays a big factor in it.

1 Like

I Hope The Event could be held on Free Areas. It wouldn’t work if we held the event on Paid Areas

It will alternate between paid and free. Can’t just focus on only certain things because ones free or not.

I love flying in SoCal since I live out here, but I wouldn’t mind flying in other regions, looking forward to this week’s FNF. Happy Landings.

I can see & understand your POV but I see it like this, People who have paid for the regions get to enjoy the “premium service” of taking part in the FDS event and flying with the FDS team and other members ,I guess you could say like a Thank-you from FDS

1 Like

What is an FNF ?? What do we do in the event and how does it go ??? Please tell me

@John_Preston21 & @DIsraelFDS…i have been talking about this sort of this a lot up and down on the forum…however i’m not 100% in agreement with some of what you’re saying…i feel that we ATC guys have more of an edge over the pilots in terms of encouraging numbers to different regions…granted that everyone likes Socal…but for example i feel that South Florida is just as diverse as Socal. Also if you took a handful of ATC controller say about 20 of them to go in Seattle,Florida,NYC,Charlotte…numbers will flock. Social will always take care of itself…once you keep pushing other region consistently for months at a time…it should work. Your plan is a good one and i agree with some of it partially…but in all good attempt

2 Likes