Reduced Functionality at Kai Tak (VHHX)

I’m currently controlling VHXX on the expert server. I’m noticing the following issues:

• No ability to select active runway on ATIS
  • No METAR for inbound pilots
  • Wind information only estimated from winds aloft. ATC doesn’t have live winds on the ground.
  • Airfield does not appear on the “airspace activity” section of the Status bar (photo in a comment below) where I would normally check for inbound aircraft.
2 Likes

I think the METAR and wind information isn’t shown because the airport closed in the early 2000s. Therefore, it’s not really an active airport and I don’t think information is available.

4 Likes

Understood, that was my thought as well, but would it be possible for devs to force it to be the same as the nearest active airfield (e.g. VHHH)?

2 Likes

In theory Chicago Meigs would have the same issue.

1 Like

That would be a good idea. ForeFlight shows the airport as nonexistent.

1 Like

Edit: added the fact that I can’t see VHXX as an active ATC-controlled airfield on the “airspace activity” section where I would normally check for inbound aircraft.

This is a known issue and has been reported internally. It’ll be fixed sometime in the future.

4 Likes

Is it really that hard/unpleaseant for others to navigate in and out of Kai Tak? I found it easy and fun on the first try… I made my own “approach” thingy along with a descent procedure of mine too… Maybe i’m missing something

If your rwy 13 approach is by the book, it should be a very difficult approach for a heavy aircraft. Recall the pilot makes the nearly 90-degree turn toward the runway with only a few dozen feet separating the aircraft from the high rises beneath. Some photos below…

If you ever want to fly the approach together, send me a PM!

Photo credit: South China Morning Post

Photo credit: SupChina.com

5 Likes

I can attest to everything you’re saying!

1. Reduced functionality - from the pilot side too, no selectable SID - STAR procedures available! Has it always been like this or did the procedures just disappeared recently, or something wrong with my device? I could’ve swore I’ve seen those procedures when I clicked on the airport last year…🤔

2. Approach is one of the hardest when done by the book. Totally! Practiced a whole day and crashed the whole day, using copy pasted by-the-book procedures from other pilots. GIF image below with added IRL foregrounds was my Garuda MD-11 seconds before crashing. (Just my fun VHHX gif add, might as well…)

(click only if you want to...)

md11 captjj kaitak

1 Like

It’s always been that way. The waypoints are still there though to use to fly the correct approach into the airport, like we had before. Just look up the approach plates for VHHX and manually enter them in.

5 Likes

Thanks for the report!

This one has been fixed now, it should show the next time you go to this page (as long as there are active flights with VHHX as a destination).

This isn’t something we can do right now but we’ll look into it for the future as part of improvements to our weather system

Can you elaborate this one and share a screenshot if possible? I’ve just checked on my end and it looks as intended, not sure if I’m missing something. Thanks :)

2 Likes

Cameron
Can you elaborate this one and share a screenshot if possible? I’ve just checked on my end and it looks as intended, not sure if I’m missing something. Thanks :)

Yes - about to land DFW-SYD then will send a screenshot.

1 Like

I was not able to re-create the issue on any of the ATC servers. The runway selection boxes appeared in the ATIS window.

1 Like

Okay, glad that works now. But let us know if you see this again and we’ll take another look :)

3 Likes

I’ve noticed the same thing… I think the reason is because the airport doesn’t exist IRL anymore. It’s very unfortunate because I think it would be a fun and challenging approach to try.

I’m just glad they have it at all. And adding the checkerboard hill was a fantastic touch - really an ode to realism and true aviation fans. We’ve come along way from having just a handful of regions with no satellite graphics and no live ATC.

1 Like

Interesting replies, and I know going by the book is a difficult task!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.