Reduce Automatic deletion time for withdrawn posts

Hey to all of you!

I was wondering about if we could reduce the time of deletion of the users withdrawn posts.

Imagine you push a reply in the wrong post, a simple miss click or the content of your reply is not the best. Here the best option instead of editing your post pushing content that may have been answered in other posterior replies causing confusion is to delete your post.

Right now, when you click on the bin on the post settings, topic will not be deleted, will be converted into a text that says: post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted after 3 hours unless flagged Meaning that your post will remain there for 3 hours more in the case it’s not flagged, what could cause a n unnecessary message that clogs the forum.

I am asking if we could reduce a bit the time of automatic deletion of this type of post, I think 3 hours is an quite excessive time based on the activity of this forum!

Do not hesitate to tell me if something is wrong!

Alex

3 Likes

I absolutely agree with this! I actually just posted something on my VA account by accident and I had to flag it for removal because I couldn’t let it sit there for 3 hours 🤦‍♂️

I would 100% love this 😊

5 Likes

One of the main reasons for this feature is that sonetimes a post you delete might be viewed different by other people and not deleting immediatly might help continuing discussion. However, I see what you mean. I think the time should be reduced. Because a lot of posts are accidental.

3 Likes

Yes, and I am not requesting that needs to be deleted immediately, just reducing the excessive time (In my opinion) that means 3 hours

3 Likes

Yup and I agree with that part. Maybe 45 mins to an hour would be good.

2 Likes

While this could be nice to have, it is a Discourse feature, so I believe Infinite Flight can’t do much about it. They are hosted by Discourse here and for the most part don’t have much flexibility when it comes to making this forum more unique for our purposes.

4 Likes

Hey!

I have talked with the co-founder of discourse and it’s an available setting for each different community

2 Likes

Oh, good to know! Thanks! :)

2 Likes

Funny.

No one said a thing when we had it set to 24hrs a few months ago, but now when we’ve lowered it by 21hrs to 3hrs… Lol.

22 Likes

also one embarrassing thing is that you can view deleted replies with the changes pen

2 Likes

I think there should just be a tick which allows for immediate deletion. And also an immediate deletion if you delete just after posting

2 Likes

Entered online just now and I’d just say: Remember when it was 24h Scrapping @schyllberg at Victorville

1 Like

I saw it, it was in the Spanish thing

1 Like

I believe it was to relieve moderator workload… I read that somewhere?

If someone says something that could get them suspended the mods want to be able to see it if it gets flagged. Having an immediate delete post would erase someone saying something bad so they get away with it. A 3 hour deletion time allows it to get flagged and mods to notice it.

1 Like

No since a system and a deleted post is always visible to staff. Discourse have that thought out… :)

2 Likes

Hmmm interesting. I had no idea

1 Like

Example below. We can discuss in PM further if you want 😊

1 Like

I forgot about that

I honestly think it should be 3 minutes. That is more than enough time to make up your mind in whether to really keep it deleted or to recover it.

1 Like