Recieving vectors deviating from flight plan

Just 2 questions please . 1: If you are decending by following your flight plan, and you request an approach and are told to expect vectors, then should you hold your current heading AND stop the decent and maintain present altitude, or does approach expect you to hold heading and continue with your present v/s until vectors are given?

2nd: if decending by a published star and then approach says decend and maintain 9000, should you assuming from that altitude vector that they want you to hold present heading too. Or would you follow the lateral course of the star while following this new atc vector? (Cause today i had this happen. I was told to decend and maintain 9000 so i took off lnav and vnav and held heading. Then approach said i hadnt followed instructions, continue as filed i think from memory)

2 Likes

Question 1: If they say expect deviation, you continue on your current plan until they give you vectors or altitude. This includes continuing on you current Star both vertically and laterally, and any appropriate speed.

Question 2: If they only give you an altitude, you are free to continue to follow your heading and flight plan (STAR)

2 Likes

Excellent thanks for the clear answers

1 Like

No worries, happy to help!

1 Like

The appropriate speed is an important one - I saw yesterday someone barelling down the cone for 28R chasing down this other guy at 220kts. He was ghosted as soon as he came on tower frequency.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.