Reading taxiway signs

You know the signs next to the taxiways at airports, they look like this:

What I would like to know is how to read them. If anyone knows of a tutorial that answers this question, please give me the link to it. Or if there is not, if anyone can give a brief explanation on how to, read them, that would be great!

8 Likes

I found this great article on KLM’s blog. Hope I could help ;-)

5 Likes

They denote the information for the Runway and taxiways. Runway 08 Left, Turn left for taxiway November, Straight ahead for taxiway Alpha 4, and Runway entry point November 1.

Would be nice to see these in IF at some point.

3 Likes

Well the taxiway symbols are important as they provide directions to the pilots. What you see here is that the arrow pointing towards left is the runway direction(06L) and taxiway symbol(NOVEMBER). The forward symbol shows the taxiway again(N1) and this taxiway shows this is taxiway to hold short of the runaway. This should answer ur question.

arrows= direction
Letters+number(b2)= taxiway/runway exit/entrance
Runway number= runway
Letter= taxiway
Those are the basics.

2 Likes

I have no idea, but had to comment this; is that your picture? Icelandair for the win!

1 Like

Yeah, it’s a pretty good airline!

1 Like

Iceland (the country) is great too (:

1 Like

Black square you’re there lol

The black sign means thats the taxiway you are in. The letters or letters with numbers in yellow are taxiways. The arrow points the direction of the taxiway . The letter and numbers in red is a runway you gonna enter.

8 Likes

Very informative. Thank you for he pic ;)

1 Like

I think he got it from the first 4 comments…

thanks for posting those jay, that’s very useful! :)

2 Likes

Thank you!!

2 Likes

@Sundayflyer Well, I felt like sharing too… so what ? >__>

1 Like

Lol no problem buddy. Yours was by far the most illustrated example for sure!

1 Like

Try reading these :)

Made in WED

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.