Reading STAR/SID chart altitudes

If you are like me and actually plot out your routes with STAR/SID charts you probably understand this already but for those wanting to get into incorporating STAR/SID charts into your FPL you need to learn some important items. Section 3.1 will teach you what the symbols mean.

This link will explain how to understand altitude instructions on SID charts. This way you can follow real life altitude restrictions for Non-ATC controlled airports. Disclaimer When ATC is present all altitude clearances by them must be obeyed, regardless of altitude restrictions.

6 Likes

[quote=“USA007, post:1, topic:76801, full:true”]Disclaimer When ATC is present all altitude clearances by them must be obeyed, regardless of altitude restrictions.
[/quote]

I’m not flying into a mountain just because ATC tells me to. Period.

PIC has final say.

3 Likes

Don’t forget to check out IF-Charts for your charts! ;)

Thanks for sharing the link btw!

1 Like

He said “altitude restrictions” not terrain outside your window.

2 Likes

It’s pointless at this point Jason. 🙄

1 Like

Please learn to stay on point in discussions. Altitude restrictions are general rules so ATC has somewhat of an idea as to how high you are at a certain time. It also functions for intersection, overlapping vertically.

In IF, we don’t follow SID/STAR procedures, but they can still be a help to the controller.

However, Zbelle, you are stretching the “PIC has the final say” phrase to the extent as to where you’re basically saying “I’m gonna choose the altitudes myself, regardless of how high ATC wants me” and that’s disobeying instructions. If you have a problem with an instruction given to you by ATC - take it up with Joe.

This is a simulator. You don’t die if you crash.

1 Like

Is there a point to that? 🙂

I understand that it is best to keep things simple.

He’s implying that arguing with you is pointless.

2 Likes

That’s a pretty hefty implication, but that’s not what this topic is about. 🤔