Reading Aircraft Data Tags (Pilot Perspective)

After seeing numerous topics from other community members on why they can’t fly the same speed as their friend or other flying buddy, I thought that this would be a good informational piece to clear the air on some misconceptions and provide some understanding. Below, you will find three (3) different screenshots which all are accessible to you, the pilot, when flying around on the live server. I will explain a little about each of these below.

Note: The pilot(s) used in this tutorial have had their violations and display names hidden for confidentiality reasons.

The Data Tag

When you’re flying around on the server, a simple tap on another aircraft will pull up this “data tag” next to the aircraft you tapped on. Most of the folks who have been around for some time, are familiar with this and the following steps. On this data tag you will notice that there are three sets of numbers separated out by the “forward slash” or "/ ". I have further labeled the following:

• Altitude - The elevation of the aircraft in its current state.
  • Heading - The direction that the aircraft is flying
  • Groundspeed - The speed across the ground that the aircraft is flying. This is NOT your IAS or Indicated Airspeed.

The Pilot Data Profile

I call this one the Pilot Data Profile because it gives the full view of the pilot information when you click on the data tag as discussed in the prior photo. Again, the same information is presented to you as well as more information. Some things that you’ll notice are the pilots:

• Callsign
  • Display Name
  • Aircraft Make & Model

And then, you have the user stats which are a bit self explanatory. As noted earlier, violations, if any were covered up for pilot confidentiality.

Last is the filed flight plan that the pilot has created and is flying/planning on flying

Side Note: The set of numbers above an aircraft within the vicinity of your aircraft is how much higher or lower that aircraft is, in relation to your aircraft. This number is indicated in hundreds of feet. In this example, the pictured aircraft is 6100 feet above me.

Data Tags Viewed Off Map

The first two examples were shown and explained through the map interface that is utilized heavily within Infinite Flight. This example is for when you are outside of the map. Whether you are in HUD, Cockpit, Wing, Fuselage, or outside cams, you will see aircraft data tags that look like what is included in this photo. There are a few items that cycle through below the aircraft callsign, which I have covered up. You will see the pilots grade, display name, and these three (3) items.

• Ground Speed (GS)
  • Distance
  • Altitude

I’d like to put an emphasis on ground speed as there is a misconception among pilots when viewing this data. The number you are seeing is the speed at which the aircraft is traveling across the ground. When you are flying your aircraft, you flying off of the Indicated Airspeed or IAS. Your IAS has a limitation with the red tape for overspending whereas your groundspeed really has no limit. If you can find a 500kt tailwind (an exaggeration), you could fly 1000kts GS if you are already flying 500kts GS without any winds.

Some important links to look at that relate to this topic:

☝🏼 This topic will break down all of the features that can be found on the HUD. Take note of the location of the IAS and GS. Keep in mind, as you increase in altitude, your GS will increase.

If you wish to know how to read data tags in on the ATC side of Infinite Flight check out this tutorial:

Different Color Tags

White - Grade 1 - 3
Green - Grade 4
Cream - Grade 5
Purple - Infinite Flight/Infinite Flight Community Moderators
Blue - FDS Admins
Light Pink - FDS Developers

43 Likes

Great tutorial for all the new people joining IF! Keep it going @DeerCrusher!

2 Likes

This solves all of those ‘what does this do’ topics. Bookmarked. Thanks!

1 Like

I create the tutorials I have thus far based on issues that I see other community members struggle with understanding. Just trying to further share the knowledge that I have already learned and understood, and sharing that with those who may not already. If I notice something that keeps coming up time and time again by multiple people, without stealing Mark, Tyler or anyone else thunder, I’ll create something to assist the community and make it more enjoyable for people.

10 Likes

Awesome tutorial! Hopefully this will increase the common knowledge of the whole community!

1 Like

Awesome, what a nice knowledge sharing.

Just want to ask one more, when viewing other aircraft off map, some aircraft tag displayed in green color, while some others don’t, what would be the meaning of the green color?

thank you for your great tutorial.

I’ll add that in at the bottom. What the different color tags mean.

2 Likes

This will help when new members have questions about these sorts of things! Thanks Deer!

I did not see where you answered this…

Because people are trying to match their IAS to the GS readout of another aircraft. I suppose that’s the answer.

3 Likes