Reaching cruising altitude

Hi

Recently i’ve try to do some long hauls, but there’s a problem : when i reach my cruising altitude, my plane’s nose stay up for (i think) no particular reasons, making him burn too much fuel, even if my speed is enough for it to fly properly (like mach 0.86~0.91)

It only happens to me with long range aircrafts such as the A350, B747 or DC10. Am i doing something wrong during the climb ? And can someone help me to solve this problem ?

For example, here’s a picture of a 747 doing 320 knts at FL300, nose up…

2 Likes

Add some negative or positive trim i guess like 15% and see if it works

1 Like

i’ve tried that already (i went to -100% or +100%) and it barely changed the position of the nose :/

The 320 kts is the IAS, the GS is 547. The Nose pointing up slightly is normal for the non-reworked aircraft, nothing to worry about :)

3 Likes

Oh ok… So i just have to fly reworked aircrafts to avoid this ?

Well, the reworked aircraft have better physics, more accurate to real life so yes :)

2 Likes

Ok

Well i’ll wait for the reworks of 747 or DC10 before fly them again

That would be a loooooooong long time!

1 Like

Yh, but there’s plenty of other aircrafts, so i can wait

1 Like

This cruise speed is actually really high! For a b744, I would stay at/around Mach .85. I think this might be the reason of the high fuel burn.

3 Likes

Without more details such as how many Pax, how much cargo, and how much fuel you have onboard, for all we know, the angle of attack could be close to IRL. Your Angle of Attack(AOA) is going to change throughout different stages of the flight, even at cruise. As your weight decreases you’ll need less lift to maintain your cruise altitude. Each aircraft has their own designed AOA but in my experience many aircraft will have this slight nose up attitude during cruise.

6 Likes

I can agree to some of the thing above. I have also an other tip for you if you wanna fly long range with the 747 and the fule isn’t enough because the fule burne is completely trash there is an “bug” when you fly with Flaps 10 you reduce the fule burne drastically and can fly further.

1 Like

Good to know, thx

Now 'ill have to learn the cruise speed of all aircrafts i use (unlesse long range ones usually stay at 0.85 ?)

I usually take something like flight duration + 3~5 hours (it’s maybe a lot) for the fuel, because i have the impression that i burn a lot during climb
Almost max of passengers
And for the cargo, the weight is usually low (smth like 1/4 of total i can take)
And all synchronized

1 Like

Oh, good to know to, thanks you, i’ll try that

For long hauls you need at least 50% of trim or more the 747 need 70-85% trim (my experience)

1 Like

Aircrafts usually cruise with their nose pitch slightly up.

2 Likes

Trim has no effect on cruise aoa in IF.

1 Like

Trim surly have effect on cruise not much but it can stil make a different qua fuel flow

Nope, it doesn’t have any impact on pitch or fuel flow. I had to explain this to so many people a year or so ago…

2 Likes