Raya Airways Boeing 767-223(BDSF) 9M-RXA

Quick note: If anyone who reads this spots at Perth Airport (PER / YPPH), please PM on here or on Instagram!

Now, onto the thread. This 33-year-old 767 was originally delivered to American Airlines in February 1985, as a -223(ER), registered N315AA. In 2008, she became the testbed aircraft for Boeing’s “Special Freighter” program, and was converted into a -223(BDSF), serving with Capital Cargo International Airlines for two years, and ABX Air for six years. After flying exclusively in North America for just over 31 years, she joined Raya Airways in March 2016 as 9M-RXA.

Currently, RXA operates for DHL Aviation, and is the only Malaysian registered 767. Unfortunately, for spotters, she is relatively nocturnal and her only predictable movements are the 5x weekly TH3507/3508 services between her hub airport, Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah (SZB), and Hong Kong (HKG), which is flown almost entirely in the dark.

It’s been my mission to catch her for a few weeks now, so I woke up very early on Sunday morning last week and headed for SZB to catch the arrival of the TH3508 flight, just before sunrise. RXA was running a little ahead of schedule, so it was still rather dark and quite hazy when she touched down at 7:17 am. Safe to say, they’re definitely not my best photos ever, but I’m quite happy with them, especially the second one.

Occasionally, RXA does make daytime movements to Borneo, Johor Bahru, Jakarta and Ho Chi Minh. However, these movements are few and far between, and it’s either been raining or I’ve been stuck in school on the last occasions. I’ll be sure to post if I manage to catch this beautiful 767 again sometime soon :)

1/40, f/4, ISO320 at 165mm

1/40, f/4, ISO500 at 111mm

1/40, f/4, ISO640 at 100mm

Canon EOS 700D + Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM

19 Likes

The plane’s a bit weird on the front (must have been not properly painted on the front), But on all other aspects, a good livery. Good photos you have there, with blurred backgrounds.

2 Likes

When the plane was still a part of American Airlines, was it a passenger plane or a cargo plane?

1 Like

That livery is actually pretty cool. Great to see a picture of yours after such a long time!

2 Likes

Thanks! Hmm, about the front of the plane. Admittedly, it’s a bit shaky and out of focus around the nose and nose gear. Maybe what you’re seeing is my use of the grain reduction tool, it takes away detail from the image.

@BigBert10 She was delivered to AA in passenger configuration - F9C30Y126

@nicochile2 Yeh, it is quite a nice livery! I hope to get some better photos soon. Keep a look out on my Instagram, I’m posting daily there for the next few weeks :)

3 Likes

Nice photos man! if i remember correctly you own a 70-200 2.8. why didn’t you use that one for this trip to help with the low light?

1 Like

Yes indeed, the Raya Airways 762 is very rare. I’ve spotted the 757 of the company a couple of times, but I believe I’ve only seen this aircraft once in my life so far - all at Kuching (WBGG)

You’re quite a lucky person ;)

1 Like

For anyone wondering here is it apart of boeings special freighter program 3061724403_bc9e8ccf1e_z

Creds to https://www.flickr.com/photos/smartjunco/3061724403

And here is it apart of the American airlines fleet

Creds https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/5321

2 Likes

Its always amazing to see these old passenger aircraft get a new life as a freighter so they are still useful i am hoping that is what happens to the 747s 757s and 767s as many of them are being retired, that they convert to airlines such as FedEx UPS Prime Air and DHL as well as other Airline Cargo subsidiary’s

1 Like

Thank you! Ahh well, if we’re being technical here, the f/2.8L belongs to my dad. So I didn’t have access to it that day, unfortunately.

You’re the lucky one if you’ve seen RYA! I have been trying to catch that plane for weeks as well, and it’s so difficult to track on FR24. Spends most of its time flying not visible on radar. Every time I get an alert for it, it’s pretty much landing at SZB already!

1 Like

Wowee, looks like it’s the total opposite for me. 8/10 times at Kuching have I spotted a RYA 757, and occasionally I do get to see it on FR24. Not all the time, but it’s not the rarest plane for me to find.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.