Ramp Talk Series... Stories from the Ground

It’s not “allowed”, but like I said this was 15yrs ago, and this event was an absolute anomaly

Fair enough than. As long as the captain approved

Oh ok I’m at sky harbor too

1 Like

So what’s the weirdest cargo you’ve loaded? For me its a pair of world famous chinchillas (Had no idea it was a thing)

Also a monkey, no pic of that though.

12 Likes

That’s interesting. I think for me when I did AA I think it was HR and blood and tissue samples

1 Like

Yeah at MSN we see at least 15-20 of those a day

1 Like

Not sure if this would be too off topic, but would you recommend working the ramp? I want to work with aircraft and aviation but I think being a commercial pilot would be too stressful for me.

Being a ramper is fun and can pay well if you get with a mainline carrier. It has a dangerous side but is very rewarding if you stick with it. I’ve been a ramper for about 5 years now and love it 😃

Thanks for the reply! It seems to be a pretty fun job, along with getting to see all the different aircraft!

1 Like

Definitely would recommend! I love working outdoors and being with the aircraft! It’s a great job!

1 Like

I might want to be a ramper in the future and I was wondering what the education requirements are for the job?

High School diploma and 18 yrs old

3 Likes

High school diploma 18 years old, DL, and must pass a background and drug test and with some company’s a physical test

3 Likes

I think I might look into that in a few years. Thank you both!

1 Like

I mean they let me into the industry so it’s not too hard 🤣

3 Likes

A little inspiration. I get to “play” with fun stuff like this

6 Likes

That’s impressive! Thank you!

2 Likes

I don’t get to play with then big ones like that but it’s a great job and you learn a lot

3 Likes

What is that?

@bbrockairbus Airplanes are very heavy, have big engines, and there’s jet blast. There’s also dealing with the ground equipment that is also very big and very heavy. If you lose situational awareness you can get injured or even killed pretty quickly. To us aviation geeks it may sound pretty obvious but I have seen people get injured from this stuff far too many times

2 Likes