Ramp Talk Series... Stories from the Ground

Hello IFC,
Today with a moderators approval I want to bring my perspective, experiences and stories to share with you all while I’m working the ramp! With that being said I want all my former and current ramp agents to tell me what you liked most about working the ramp and what your least favorite thing was about working ramp!

11 Likes

Oh man, so many crazy fun and funny stories from working the ramps at KBOS, KATL, and KAGS. I don’t even know where to begin…

3 Likes

Favorite thing working ramp was obviously working with the many different aircraft. From regionals to mainline, they all were so much fun. Also working with my crews. It’s such a family, you’ll do anything for each other. My least favorite was dealing with the beast that is weather. Been in so many thunderstorms, blizzards, and scorching heat it’s insane. But all experiences I’ll cherish.

4 Likes

I bet Boston really got crazy, especially during the winter!
Hopefully I’ll be working the ramp at Key West this summer, so as long as this thread is open until then I’ll be able to contribute some fun stories down the line!

1 Like

Current Delta ALA at KMSN. What I like most is dealing with the day to day challenges that might arise and ideally seeing the end result as an on time flight. Working around everything from CRJ’s to A330’s is fun too. What I dislike is broken planes and -50°F temps. Overall a great job 😃

22 Likes

Didn’t you say the best part of your job is dealing with two planes at the exact same time with 5 people at work? That’s what I heard

4 Likes

Probably thinking about someone else with an almost exact same username! I want people to share there favorite/least favorite part about the job.

1 Like

Nah. Tonight, hop has two planes coming in at the exact same time. One from MSP which was delayed, and one from ATL on time. They have 5 people working, and he’s gonna be playing with a double header

2 Likes

Favorite proud/hyped moment was working TDY at Augusta during Masters week (golf tournament) we had a ground crew of like 9 people working. Bad weather caused 2 planes to be delayed inbound, one was from LGA and another CLT. On top of that, we had 2 flights already on the ground about to turn, and then had another inbound from DCA. Total of 5 aircraft at once on the ramp. 737, E175, two CRJ700, and a CRJ900.

I had 3 working the 737. 3 working the E175. 3 working the CRJ700, and I took the CRJ900 by myself. I completely unloaded, loaded, turned on time, and pushed a CRJ900 by myself. Only aircraft that got out late was one of the CRJ700s going back to CLT because he was blocked at the gate by an incorrectly parked Delta aircraft. He pushed like 10min late. Overall a hectic but proud night.

2 Likes

Yeah not fun @mkwiecek 🤣. Happens a lot though

1 Like

Ive felt your pain lol. Only certain ramp rats can handle that well.

2 Likes

The part that’s a bit questionable is why push back an aircraft by yourself with no wing walkers

1 Like

Wow! That’s crazy, I didn’t know that was allowed 😂

Best part of working the ramp: Actually being staffed well…
Worst part: Working three planes with three total people on the ramp.

3 Likes

I work on the ramp for frontier airlines. What a fun job I
Love seeing planes from a whole different perspective. Another thing that I love is getting the plane out early.
Another thing I love is when kids wave at me from the window.
The thing that I can say I truly hate is having to dump the airplane lavatory tank.

2 Likes

What company do you work for and you at sky harbor

1 Like

I won’t disclose the company I worked for at my previous job. I work now for one of the two FBOS at Sky Harbor now.

Very interesting to hear all these stories. As a passenger the ground staff is often little noticed, but without the work you do we would still be stuck at the gate, which shows how important teamwork is in aviation. Really great topic idea @N1DG!

1 Like

Thank you! I appreciate it! So little people know what happens on the ground and I want to share all that!

1 Like

It was a side gate with nothing within 200ft. Captain approved and we rolled with it. This was 15yrs ago.