Radio Chatter

Sometimes when i do my flights, i tune into tower of an airport and don’t leave so i can listen to the radio chatter so i can have something to listen to. Am I allowed to do this?

4 Likes

As long as your not interfering with traffic you should be fine, however you should be tuned to ground when on an active airport.

1 Like

No i mean when im at cruising altitude.

1 Like

I’m not sure what to tell you, I don’t think this is a great idea, and I definitely wouldn’t do this at a busy airport, as ATC need to focus on inbound and departing aircraft, not you, cruising 30,000ft overhead.

You can always use LiveAtc.net if you like to listen to ATC chatter, I know it’s not IF chatter but it’s something…

Thank you. I will listen to that

1 Like

No problem, i’m here to help ;)

1 Like

Yes if you have live atc.net I do all the time it adds realism

2 Likes

Yes it’s perfectly acceptable to remain tuned into a frequency after being told frequency change is approved.

10 Likes

As long as you don’t interfere by talking to atc I think it’s fine, I do this a lot.

1 Like

As the previous comments said just listen to live atc online

Yeah live atc online works great and is able to run as a background app

My two cent, absolutely nothing wrong with staying tuned into ATC. As long as you’re not interfering. I do it often. Adds realism relevant to IF. If it doesn’t bother you, then it shouldn’t bother anyone else. 😉👍🏿

You should never tune into a tower you aren’t flying in/out of or stay tuned in for the entire flight. ATC doesn’t have time to see what every aircraft is doing and they may get confused if you are going into the airport or not. Just a word of advice.

Controllers can remove aircraft from the list by swiping right on them, so it’s actually not a big deal.

1 Like

I will not lie I used to do this.

1 Like

I’m aware, thinking about it I guess it doesn’t matter if you stayed tuned into tower… I just never saw the point of it with liveatc.net being there if you like to listen to ATC chatter…

1 Like

I can understand that pilots, who fly on IF, prefer IFATC chatter over real life.
And as mentioned, IFATCs would prefer you to tune out, but as long as you’re not interfering you’re welcome to stay on the frequency after ‘frequency change approved’.

1 Like

Yep, that’s a valid point.

So the conclusion is that: You are fine to stay on the frequency as long as you don’t interfere and/by send(ing) random requests while cruising at FL350 for an example, only for the sake of trolling and annoying the controller.

I didn’t know that. Awesome

2 Likes