Radar Tips & Strategies Series

Hello Infinite Flight Community, its @Kevinsoto1502 back with another thread. Asides from my fun and illustrative post I bring a new series called the Radar Tips and Strategies informative thread to help the community understand more about the Radar Controller and when flying under a Radar Controllers airspace. Below are some interesting techniques I use as a controller and enforce as a pilot. Hope your ready, let the fun begin…

Approach Madness

Here we have my Approach session from Milan-Malpensa Approach. You as a community member might ask well Kevin those are just a bunch of lines, well those lines are the aircraft that I have been in touch with all session. Keep in mind I don’t only work with arriving controller I also work with departing aircraft. I will start first explaining the departure strategy and go over somethings I have seen many forum users not understand what we do and why we do it.

Departure Control

Like many pilots on the forum sometimes I see pilots reach out and ask why am I being vectored or why is AT. telling me to climb to a specific altitude? Well lets go back to my control session image. As you see there are many aircraft departing at the same time on both runways which puts into rule the 1000ft separation for a Radar controller. Keep in my some pilots have the Same flight plan so another thing is when pilots come in to close to each other and are close to breaking the 3nm barrier, I issue a “Adjust Speed to Follow” to make sure the aircraft maintain either the minimum or a safe distance and thus upon that issuing a “Speed at Discretion”. I will get more into detail of Departure Control later on in the series.

Approach Control

As many of you know STAR’s play a big role in the simulator, thus this makes our job a bit easier but at the same time more productive.

The image above has some very interesting thins. The aircraft highlighted in blue are on approach into Milan, before I do anything I set up an effective plan in my head to quickly have these aircraft come in safely while having the IFR Seperation, speed, and many other things in play. Lets take for example: D-3CO & DLVA420. Now the big conflict here is the altitude and the runway. They were both coming in at 6000ft on downwind so my job is to make sure that before they get to Final Approach they have the separation vertically between them. So for DLVA I gave him a descent to 5000 before his base turn and on the base turn I turned him and descent to 4000ft was issued. On the other hand D-3CO was told to maintain 6000 on downwind and then base told to descent to 5000ft. So when I cleared them DLVA was 4000ft and D-3CO was 5000ft which both these altitudes worked very well for the airport. Now not necessarily its always going to be one runway has this altitude and the other another, you have to realize who is coming in at what altitude and plan accordingly for a quick decisions.

Now I can sit here and bore you with instructions and whats not. But these strategies as a pilot and a controller play out really effective. Pilots can use this as well in Unicom scenarios when airports go offline for a while and there is a rush. You as a pilot have to keep in mind “Well on my map he is a 1000ft lower so by the time he is established will be on direct paths so Ill stay at this altitude until the handover to tower which the minimum is 500ft lateral between aircraft making parallel landings a thing.

My Advice and Tips

To those pilots just joining or looking to get better on the Expert Server these ideal tips and strategy will help you understand more to why we issue an altitude or a speed restriction. We do it to separate and plan accordingly to the arrivals at our airports. Thus helping you maintain a safe distance and get to the ground safely. I advise those willing to learn more to check tutorials and study the IFR Plates to get a better understanding at the different altitudes and speed restrictions. And to keep in mind the Approach controllers airspace is from the moment your are given instruction to contact us all the way upto FL180. This is important as we ensure safe distances and other variables when you pass through our airspace.

I really hope you all enjoyed the first segment of rules, tips, and advice! While there is still a lot to improve and more to come I would love to here your voices and opinions on what I should do to make things more interesting and entertaining. ⭐️ Leave a comment down below as well as to what other Radar Segment you would like to see for next weeks series. Farewell for now and keep those skies friendly ✈️…

27 Likes

This is amazing! Can’t wait to see the next part of this series! 😁

1 Like

Awesome work on this, Kevin! Definitely a great run down on things us radar controllers do and prepare for, on the daily.

1 Like

Nice topic Kevin! Although you still need to learn how to approve a frequency change 🤪

1 Like

Thanks MJP sure looking forward to dedicating time to the community 😄

Yes it can be difficult at time but with hard work anything is possible 😁

Haha your just mad I controlled three center frequencies and you didnt 😉

1 Like

🤭 at least when I control I answer all my aircraft 🤪🤪

1 Like

Haha your just another TS Pilot😜

1 Like

Ooh nice work and glad to see you accomplish it 💛

Thanks Josh happy to have support from someone like you 😊💚

1 Like

Great post and tips, cant wait to see next episodes of this!

1 Like

Thx bro I appreciate it. Yes Im looking for new creative ways to expand the series😃

1 Like