Racing for the specials | Munich, December 19, 2019

Thursday, 7.30am - Moritz‘ clock goes off next to his bed which is located a 50 minute car drive from the airport. „Wonder if there are any news on the special departure later today…“ Actually, there aren’t any, it will probably be between 10 and 2, so enough time to turn around and sleep for some more minutes and drive to the airport at 8.30 or something like that.

Thursday, 8.05am - *BING* „Hey there are news from Martin: STD 0850, Runway 08L“

„F*CK“ - A now very awake Moritz jumps out of the bed, dresses up, „eats“ a piece of cake while putting on his shoes and takes advantage of the German Autobahn to get to the airport (Yes, there are actually speed limits at German highways but if you only go 20km/h too fast it will not cost very much if you get caught…the rest is up to your imagination here)

Now that you are informed about the start of my last airport visit, welcome to another spotting topic. Of course the race to the airport wasn’t actually necessary for the special in the end but at least I arrived on time to catch some birds in rather interesting weather conditions.

One of the first arrival I caught at Munich‘s northern runway was, @Cameron listen please, an Airbus 319 arriving from Helsinki operated by Finnair showing some nice wing condensations and vortices.

Just as this little KLM hopper inbound from Amsterdam arriving in the middle of fog patches that morning.

Not only arrivals showed some nice condensations but also departing aircraft. While this bizjet would already look fantastic without special effects due to its colors the weather made it even more stunning.

The king of the humid air and fog that day nevertheless was a common visitor: One of Lufthansa’s loooooong A340-600s shortly before touchdown trailing some huge clouds and vortices.

Making pics even better, the sky eventually cleared even more allowing some nice light on the planes still displaying the humidity such as this Air Canada 777 from Toronto still wearing the old color scheme (which, tbh, kinda looks worn off around the titles already)

Not the special I expected to depart but nevertheless a welcome motive was this Boeing 737-400 owned by the King of Thailand. While I already caught his 737-800, the -400s we’re still entirely missing in my collection.

On Wednesday, we saw the new Condor, so now here is the very old Condor still wearing the sunny heart on a blue background. I’m very curious how this plane will be changed to the new livery, to be precise if they will attach a condor on blue background or if the plane will get a full repaint to the grey color scheme. If I’m being honest I’d love to see a yellow/blue version of the condor on it.

Another arrival from across the Atlantic - United’s 777 a few feet from touching the ground.

Let’s get towards the day‘s specials though. While Kuwait Airways usually sends 777s and 330s to Munich during the summer months, the service is reduced to an A320 for the winter. Since the airline has recently received its first A320neos the new livery is now not only seen on the 777s but also on their narrow bodies such as this A320neo visiting us this week.

Another bird coming close on the taxiway was LOT‘s new special livery on the E195, I‘m quite sure @Kuba_Jaroszczyk can shed some light on what this livery is promoting 😉

The plane that was actually scheduled for 8.50 am eventually showed up at 10.40 for a departure to Paris. After being parked at the airport for a month, Bahrain’s 747 started a little Munich-Paris-Bahrain-Munich round trip from which it returned yesterday evening. The departure on Thursday made for amazing condensations once again.

Eventually I ended my day at the airport like I had begun it: with a little race. Flightradar showed a special livery approaching so I waited for it at the southern runway. It turned out that it actually approached the northern one though so I had to quickly change my position to get a shot of Etihad‘s „Choose Singapore“ 787.

I hope you enjoyed this second spotting topic within two days. Not sure if it will be the last topic of the year but it kinda looks like it when I have a look at the weather forecast. If you can’t get enough of these pics and feel like you won’t survive the holidays without them feel free to check out my social media channels below and keep an eye on the plane pics on Flightradar 😉

Twitter

https://twitter.com/mba_muc

My spotting topics on the IFC

Spring Spotting 1
Spring Spotting 2 with Lorenzo
Spring Spotting 3 (feat. Hekla Aurora)
August spotting with some sunrise shots
September 30 with quite some special liveries and bizjets
Spotting in Zurich on the way to Cosford
Spotting Laura and more in Birmingham
Spotting in fog with a sunny end
Special planes at Munich - Munich Security Conference feat. E-4B
Valentine’s Spotting 2019 - Civil Traffic around the Munich Security Conference
Retro Time - British Airways BEA A319
First weekend in Innsbruck - Charter Flights in the Alps
Second Innsbruck Spotting Weekend
Bringing Israeli soldiers to Munich - El Al 747
Another visit of ElAl’s queen - El Al 747
Spotting in the Morning Sun - South African Special Livery A340-300
A full day of Spotting
London Calling - Spotting at MUC and LCY on the way to London
London Heathrow Evening Spotting Before the Meetup
London Heathrow Meetup Spotting
Last Day at Heathrow: Landor, Negus and more
Government Jets and New Perspectives at Munich Airport
One Day Spotting Trip to Frankfurt Airport
Spotting Trip to Berlin
A lot of Specials at Munich
Quick after work spotting for a private A340
Another Sunny Spotting Day in Fall
Spotting with a Female closer than 5 miles, so definitely click even though she’s in none of the Pics!!!
Day and Night Shots at Munich
Deicing and more
Condor’s new colors and a big chopper

TL;DR service for @dush19: Actually, I can’t be bothered to continue this any longer but: Planes, Planes, Planes.
@MrMrMan: Catch up, there are seven topics to quote now!

49 Likes
This is getting out of hand | Munich, January 9, 2020
End of the first spotting decade (I promise!) | December 29, 2019
Heavy Contrasts | Munich, January 31, 2020
Air Force One Ramp Tour | Zurich, January 21, 2020
As nerdy as it can get | January 6, 2020
A New Perspective | Munich, March 5, 2020
There's also normal traffic at Zurich?! | Zurich, January 21, 2020
A Bumpy Start into a Great Weekend | Munich, February 13/14, 2020
The Highlights of Saturday at Munich Security Conference | Munich, February 15, 2020
A little bonus: Etihad 787-9 "Choose China" | Munich, February 28, 2020
End of the Security Conference Spotting Weekend | Munich, February 16, 2020
A Final Spotting Trip | Munich, March 19, 2020
Spotting A Bunch of New Airlines | Frankfurt, June 12, 2020
Sunset Spotting for a First Visit | Munich, May 27, 2020
Back at the Airport | Munich, May 03/06, 2020
A Noisy Prop from the East | Leipzig, May 16th, 2020
A little more spotting | Munich (not the airport though), May 9, 2020
Farewell, Pretty Bird | Munich, May 19, 2020
Early Morning Cargo Movements | Munich, June 24th, 2020
Two Weeks of Summer Spotting | Munich, August 9 - 20, 2020
Watching White Whales | Ingolstadt/Neuburg, July 23, 2020
Hunting an Icon and Tons of Private Jets | Zurich, January 21, 2020
Being Grilled While Spotting a Special Freighter | Munich, August 8, 2020
More Special Than Regular Movements | Munich, July 3, 2020
A New Spotting Experience With Several Specials | Ingolstadt & Neuburg, July 06 & 07, 2020
A Few More Days of Specials After My Holidays | Munich, September 16-18, 2020
Two Days of Munich Specials and a Little Throwback | Munich, August 28/29, 2020
Summer Spotting Ending With Amazing Evening Light | Munich, July 29, 2020
Returning to the South and the Visit of an Old Lady | Munich, July 17, 2020
A Spotting Week in Times of COVID-19 | Munich, June 1 & 3, 2020
Getting trolled at the Airport | Munich, January 14, 2020

Beautiful stuff @Moritz. I’m just going to say I love them all. This is what #real-world-aviation:spotting was made for - Amizing pictures like yours. How about an orange then? 🍊 :)

2 Likes

You littearly have thirty one (31) spotting topics… I see how much of a spotter you are, which is the one who can somehow get very good pictures of interesting planes in interesting weather conditions for some reason, including having the special ability to go to the airport every one in a while to get those pictures which is a good amount of dedication and interest to do so.

The pictures look fantastic, my favourite one is the Etihad livery shown at the last picture of the topic, it somehow makes me interested in some way of how Etihad is refurbishing their liveries to something new :/.

Also… what is it about MrManMan quoting seven of your spotting topics??

2 Likes

Moritz, as always, your spotting topics are wonderful. I am on winter break from school now, so hopefully I’ll have some time to quote all of these new topics. (Lol… some of them aren’t so new anymore 😂)

3 Likes

Once again, I’m amazed with your photography skills. Awesome, just like always!

2 Likes

Yep, Chocolate plums. 👍

2 Likes

Wow these are great! I always look forward to your spotting topics and they never disappoint!

1 Like

Thanks, I guess I’ll take the doughnut this time as a reward 😉

I’ll give you some time now I guess but since we get a new airline tomorrow it won’t be too long 😬

Actually even a ground controller at Munich recently told me I would be spending too much time at the airport haha
Regarding MrMrMan: go back about 8 topics and you’ll see his comments quoting my posts 😉

Thank you :)

Great to hear that, thank you :)

Never disappointing haha 😉

4 Likes

Well folks, we’re here at last. The last topic for me to quote. At least for the time being. Onto the photos!

I really enjoy Finnair’s simplistic livery, with nothing but the F, the Finnair, and reg and things like that. I think it looks really clean. I know @CR3W would like this too ;)

I like how KLM’s colors pop out like this. Looks like the passengers are in for a pretty smooth landing there… Nice work!

This is such. a stellar. livery. It’s so gorgeous! I absolutely love the look of it. The red looks great against the black and grey, and the stars on the tail also look great. I love the wing condensation.

Lufthansa? From Moritz? At EDDM? No. It can’t be! Well, anyhow, I love the wingtip vortices here, and the condensation as well. I love LH’s A340-600. Looks great.

I haven’t been the biggest fan of the toothpaste livery… but this shot makes it look really nice. As you said, yeah… it’s a bit faded lol. The maple leaf on the tail pops really well. Great work, @Moritz!

Whoa. It’s similar to his other 737, yet a bit different too… I like the tail of this one a bit more than his other 737, although they’re both fantastic. Nice shot!

Well, if the current Condor livery with the condor is “new,” and the heart one is old, then that makes this… ancient. Would be neat, as you said, to see a combo of this blue and the Condor. They’ll probably repaint it to yellow and grey though…

This looks like it’ll be really smooth. Nice shot! Loving the look of the fog above the forest in the background.

AH! I love the 320neo. This Kuwait livery is absolutely to die for as well. The blue on the tail is simply spectacular. Great shot all around.

I don’t get the point of advertising chocolate plums. Neat livery, anyhow.

I really love this livery. The cheatlines look really nice, and the colors pop in your shot well. Nice work! Love the condensation on this one too.

Etihad livery + 787 = spectacular. Adding onto that with the special “Choose” liveries look… unique, for sure. The colors of “Choose Singapore” work really well with Etihad’s livery, in my opinion. Nice shot!

Well… I’m done. For now. Wonder what Moritz has up his sleeve for me to quote next time…

5 Likes

I see what you did there lol

Too bad I really have to go back to the airport now to get you more stuff to quote 😏

1 Like

Wow! Once again really fantastic pictures! I especially like the Finnair A319, LH A340-600 and Etihad B787 and the Kuwait A320neo and…, but the B747 never fails to impress especially captured with such an amazing condensation!

Thanks for sharing!

I fear they will just apply the grey/yellow Condor stickers to the tail and leave the remainder until it’s time for a complete repaint to save as much money as possible.

1 Like

That would be a real shame though

1 Like

True, but I can’t imagine them doing a full repaint if it’s not due as that would be to expensive. I don’t know how expensive a second design of the Condor is but from an economic perspective I probably wouldn’t invest in a second design of the patches even though applying the grey/yellow ones wouldn’t really look good.
Would be a shame as you said, but survival is everything, right?

There are actually 3 757s and 3 767s in the blue livery so blue stickers might be a realistic option after all

Would be nice to see, didn’t know it were that many!

1 Like

Good news 😉

4 Likes

The colours don’t really match but that’s much better than what I feared! Thank you!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.