Quick question

I will give it a go… how much +15 % ? A350

No I’d do 25 minimum.

1 Like

At that point in time your aircraft is at a certain angle, let’s say 3 degrees pitching down, but after calibrating and upon disconnecting A/P you might have over pitched your phone device’s position to more than 3 degrees. Also note a change in power/ speed. Gotta juggle all that into one feel, practice makes perfect!

I personally always disconnects at 1500ft to hand fly it down but left the speed on A/P - so I could micro-adjust it along with the changing winds then only totally disconnected at minimums… dunno if this is realistic though, but here’s my references:

How to calculate your final approach speed

REAL BOEING PILOT | How to calculate your final approach speed | PMDG 737 NGX - YouTube

It’s so I could kept dividing the ever changing wind speed by two and add or subtract that to my pre-planned landing speed with my right thumb, all while concentrating on my trembling hands to land the plane and not worry about anything else.

2 Likes

Ok try maybe +40%?

Cheers for the tips I will give this a go tomorrow.

1 Like

I will try it tomorrow, thanks for help.

Dang I just realized that… was about to turn off the lights…

Also disconnect the AP earlier so you have time to react. 1000ft is normally quite good

1 Like

My tip is to disconnect autopilot before you get that close (upon reaching 500 AGL is a good minimum) and practice hand flying at least that amount.

Personally I always hand fly my entire approach from at least the base leg.

It takes a lot of practice but even if you disconnect at 500 AGL (a mile or two from the runway) you have more time to adjust if you’re not as well-calibrated as you thought

2 Likes

Calibrate, its so important

1 Like

Calibration is one thing, but trim is even more important. If you don’t trim your airplane, then calibration won’t help.

If you look at the button where you can change the trim, you can see a little purple bar that’s moving up and down. Your aircraft is perfectly trimmed when you can’t see the purple bar. If the bar is pointing down like in the picture below, then you need to trim your aircraft up (+). If the bar is pointing up, then you must trim your aircraft down (-).

7 Likes

It took me so long to realize this. Until I found it out, my landings were a gambling game. This is the most valuable tip imo along with calibration.

3 Likes

Cool im at work atm so i will try all yhis tonight.

Thanks to all for sound advice.

2 Likes

And about the trim, this excellent post created by Kuba_Jaroszczyk. A must

Trim

With trim it really depends. The trim setting that I displayed in the topic is only a recommendation. I use trim to make my aircraft lift off easier and more smoothly without having to rotate my device too much.

When landing I use trim to make sure my aircraft won’t descend too quickly due to the decreasing pitch. And I do wish to remake the topic to add some videos though.

That’s would be good idea.

Nice topic personally im less than a year on IF i never used to understand trim and calibrate but i only found out through fb and IF community posts that it helps a lot especially when landing though im still struggling with my correction of speed on approch …

Your trim should be that high/low, that the “pink line” in the trim settings box disappears. To slow down, you can use flight spoilers to lose speed fast. In case you need specific speeds for landing, have a look at this topic, which also gives some trim settings:

I use this for my reference and works ok.

Try it and let me know.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.