Quick question about landing gear

When should I deploy landing gear?, I normally deploy the landing gear 5 miles from the airport, but I don’t know if it’s correct

Usually between 5-10NM is about correct

at least i do at 5NM

1 Like

from a friend of mine who is doing his PPL, he said for commercial pilots, generally you drop final flaps and gear and contact tower once you are 5NM out from the threshold

1 Like

I usually drop my gear when I intercept the ILS since I have to focus on the approach. If I had a co-pilot for sure I would do it closer to the runway, but I have to focus on the approach more haha

1 Like

Use APPR and then disconnect when you are set up and have done your final checks. That is realistic and you can deploy the gear when you should :)

2 Likes

Yeah that is a good idea, but some aircrafts still don’t have APPR rip

2 Likes

I normally do it once I intercept the ILS so I can focus on other things.

2 Likes

I do it when I hit 2500ft AGL as well as deploy flaps to 2/10 and reduce speed from intercept speed

2 Likes

IRL they do it when they are one dot below the glide slope.

1 Like

When established and on the glide slope at <10nm, I just drop it.

1 Like

My order these days : flap 2, spoilers armed, flap 3, gear down, flap full. I usually meet the glidescope with flap 1.

With the TBM, i drop the gear whenever I need to slow down ;) usually at 1500ft.

1 Like

I deploy them 9-7nm from touch down

3 Likes

Yeah. 8 miles or so for me XD

1 Like

You’re not supposed to be a dot above or below the glideslope, otherwise you’re too high or too low…?

You are always under the glideslope before you capture it, so he is correct.

Well 8NM is a long way out to drop it, and technically in IF you can be tuned to the ILS and descending with the glideslope from before the cone.

I agree, but you normally don’t capture the glideslope from above.

1 Like

It’s just an extended glideslope, it’s not necessarily above because you’re descending with it on the same 3 degree angle. But whatever. Just surprised people drop the gear so early.

1 Like

It’s before you intercept the ILS. When the glide slope is one dot above that’s when you put the gear down.

1 Like

I hand fly pretty much everything but cruise. I find takeoffs and landings much more smooth than just letting a computer do it. Also, I gain proficiency, and, I just love concentrating as hard as I do. That sense of focus is just, amazing.

So, starting from downwind or base, I start hand flying. Once I am within 5nm in a narrow body or anywhere from 5-8nm in a heavy, I let down the last notch of flaps and lower the gear. In a TBM, I lower it on downwind or base, since my pattern won’t be as big.