Questions For Real Life Pilots

I created this for any questions for real life Pilots that community members might have. So get asking!

My question: What’s it like flying over fireworks?

7 Likes

I don’t think pilots would notice fireworks at all because they’re flying so high. High enough to avoid them completely and not even realise that they are there! Correct me if I’m wrong. (I’m not a pilot. Just a guess btw)

6 Likes

Not at ASU football games! Planes are on approach into PHX constantly over the stadium and the fireworks go off every time ASU scores a touchdown. Pilots fly over them all the time during the football game.

6 Likes

I was talking about this today as i watched a plane juts take off at around 3000 ft climbing above fireworks and my only theory is it would look 2d and it would be like coloured lines.

3 Likes

The sparks don’t effect the plane at all.

5 Likes

Most pilots have never flown over fireworks, and if they have they probably didn’t realize it

4 Likes

People on the International Space Station can see fireworks. Without a telescope or so.

4 Likes

There are usually TFRs around fireworks to prevent pilots from flying into them. Ex. Disney World

4 Likes

Regarding airline pilots they may not notice, especially depending on the weather. GA however is very capable of seeing fireworks, again depending on the plane. I flew the 172 earlier that would be very easy to see fireworks at dusk/night.

5 Likes

Unfortunately, I don’t think there are very many real life polits on the form:-( the only ones I know of are:
@Qantas_Pilot
@Aernout
But it’s great to see that some of the virtual pilots
can answer some of the questions :-)

4 Likes

There are a lot of real world pilots here, you just have to search for them :)

6 Likes

I’m still working on my licenses, but I’ve still flown non sim.

3 Likes

Most people here are doing their PPL like me.

4 Likes

I have seen the fireworks from Disney while on approach. It’s really cool. Most of them aren’t 2d. They are 3D so it’s a big ball of explosion vs just the flat angle you see from the ground. But relatively looks the same. They were a bit off in the distance.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for your replies! You too can ask questions if you want!

From hight altitude (>FL360) the flashes will catch your eye, the larger rockets will bloom quite nicely! On finals and climb out you’ll see them quite clearly obviously.

In general if they hit you they’ll just bounce off in a shower of sparks!

Low level flying it’s like being in a storm of surface to air rockets!

3 Likes

Might want to check your facts - one of those definitely isn’t a real world pilot…

3 Likes

Ques- when n how did any IRL pilot get into a big big duet betweenburself n an atc

1 Like

Two of the most famous are from the USA where the ground controllers can be notoriously short tempered due to the volume of traffic they are often handling.

One was where a US carrier turned the wrong way down the wrong taxy way leading to a ‘head to head’ with another aircraft. The lady ground controller was less than impressed by the pilots mistake and made here opinion very clear over the airwaves!!!

Another was an Air China 747 who taxied into the wrong terminal at JFK whilst struggling with the language. That again cause a rather heated exchange over the radio!

In general though it is always advisable to think twice what you are going to say before pressing the transmit button! An anger venting grumble in the cockpit just either amuses or annoys your colleague. Once it’s gone to the world it can’t be taken back!

ATC will generally always try to be helpful and accede to what you request. If they can’t then there is generally a reason!!! Play nice together. ;)

1 Like

Oh you have no idea how many times ATC has to “pull the tape”… :)

Kennedy Steve… <3

2 Likes