Questions about controllers radars

Does anyone know the distance of the ils/gps triangles (from the base to the runway)?

Also, the controllers “radar range rings”, does anybody know the the distances between each ring? (i.e. 5nm, 15nm, 25nm)

I’ve searched throughout the forums but cannot seem to find these answers. Thanks for your help community!

I’m pretty sure standard is 8.3 miles. Best way to measure though, is when you have an aircraft in that area, drag and point and it’ll give you the distance.

IRL though, we can set the range rings to what we want, unless it is specified in an OI that we must have it at a certain distance, and the cones don’t exsists.

2 Likes

However didn’t you say you guys had a line for the localizer?

2 Likes

Yes, we utilize a dashed extended runway centerline, so the line in the middle of the cone, just dashed to represent the miles inbound/outbound.

2 Likes

@THE-OP following up with a question of my own, IRL do the aircraft dots displayed on the screen have a continuous and fluid movement like they do in the app? Or do they have a pulsating (their position on the screen only updates every second or 2) movement?

2 Likes

The aircraft position updates with every radar sweep, I think it’s like every 3 seconds. Never timed it.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.