Question to ATC

I opened EIDW first, it was just the first IFATC at home schedule! It was an amazing first session. Feedback from others was also great and helped out.

What is the most difficult part of being a ATC for you guy.

What about pilots frustrates you as ATC the most weather its on ground or in the air.

The one I’m controlling now. NTAA.

If there’s a lot of planes calling in at one time. One time there were 15 people calling I at one time, and that is difficult.

How is New Zealand for YOU

This is why we can report people.

I’m not at new Zealand lol. I’m at Tahiti, and it’s extremely hard to control as there are many heavies inbound and the airport is not designed for this.

If it gets so.much does pilots usually listen when you say airport is busy to them because I know as a pilot they get frustrated and resend the msg the whole time but they mist know ATC gets really busy some time

Announcing inbound on the GPS while approach cleared them for ILS approach
Requesting a frequency change when nearing their assigned runway
Requesting taxi or inbound to an inactive runway, as shown on ATIS
Spamming messages, thinking we forgot about them

The list really goes on forever hahaha

Ohhh sorry Tahiti its a very beautiful airport tho are you new to ATC

I would say I’m rather new - I’ve been in IFATC for about a month now. Tahiti is beautiful yes, but with the amount of traffic, no.

If you wanna know why, see below.

I can think it gets really frustrating and when pilots just decide to push in front of other pilots does it sometimes get hard to keep track of all rge aircraft.

And that airport only has one runway so keeping spacing can be difficult but its a nice airport tho

1 Like

Yep! I even had a session at NTTB today where even back taxiing caused an airport with 6-7 aircraft in the airspace to get slightly intense. It’s a tough balance at the smaller airports.

The good thing about controlling is that everything is based on the fundamentals. As you grow in levels of traffic, you are simply adding to those fundamentals. Because of this, in a busy airspace, all we have to do is remember our fundamentals. This significantly helps to reduce stress, because in the end, we are just doing what we practiced. It is just with more aircraft.

Controllers should always be coming to an airport with a plan of operations. Sticking to a plan makes it easier on you as a controller and will always ensure efficient, expeditious, and quality service. This is where the benefit of working in a team comes into play. We can share plans and ideas with each other, allowing for consistency throughout the span of multiple controllers.

Tagging with another controller is another way that we reduce the potential for stress. Coming prepared with a plan to control your airspace as a team makes things much easier.

So, to answer your question, the most experienced controllers rarely feel stress. Generally, controllers feel the most stress when attempting a new level of traffic that they haven’t seen before. But, with proper planning, the stress and anxiety is significantly reduced!

2 Likes

Thats very well said tho and I appreciate you guys as ATC for getting every plane where they should be abd its not a easy job that’s why I always encourage pilots to stay in ATC guidelines and what ATC tells them and pilot’s should just be patient especially when you guys have a hand full off things to do.

So as ATC I have to ask do you guys have a ATC group where you guys share plans and how who you are gonna be controlling with on that day.

And as ATC what is you’re plan before you control at a airport.

Thats very well said tho and I appreciate you guys as ATC for getting every plane where they should be abd its not a easy job that’s why I always encourage pilots to stay in ATC guidelines and what ATC tells them and pilot’s should just be patient especially when you guys have a hand full off things to do.

So as ATC I have to ask do you guys have a ATC group where you guys share plans and how who you are gonna be controlling with on that day.

And as ATC what is you’re plan before you control at a airport.You do a good job at it.

Yes, we use Slack to communicate. Coordination is key when controlling. We usually check out the airport first, before starting our session

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.