Question to all

Do you land better in crosswinds or no wind answer down below

4 Likes
  • Crosswinds
  • No crosswinds
0 voters
2 Likes

I fly on solo, which has no live weather. It would be nice if it had since you need to have wifi to fly there.

4 Likes

What I do is look at the weather for the place I’m flying to and we’re I’m departing from and I just use that

1 Like

Perfect example of me failing to land in crosswind this morning. Flew from JFK-MIA and upon touchdown I slammed down on 8L I had 10kts cross wind.

2 Likes

When I do pattern work/touch and goes I specifically hunt out airports with a crosswind so I can practice crosswind landings but I’m still pretty horrible at them lol

3 Likes

Interesting question. And surprising result? With 61 votes nearly one in 5 say it’s easier to land in a crosswind!?

Not to put anyone on the spot (and not to necessarily disagree), but why? (no pressure to answer, just curiosity)

@The-plane-king1 @toshinao46 @AmericanB772 @CapitanLH @Sturmovik @whyevenbothernaming @askrdl @Apollo_11 @AndrewWu @Aceorbit @Aviator_Enthusiast @Itsukki1

3 Likes

Just because! :)

2 Likes

I’ve yet to truly master a crosswind but landing without one is most certainly easier.

3 Likes

Mine is from a real world perspective, so the ACS standard for CPL landings is like +/-100 feet or whatever, and when you have to correct for a crosswind you’re gonna introduce drag with the rudder and what not, so you’re not going to float down the runway and it’s a lot easier to just plop it down on your touchdown point. As long as you keep the correction in and don’t veer off the runway its pretty solid.

2 Likes

I’m not really sure how I land better with crosswind but I feel like I get to ahead of myself when there’s no real wind… Just how some people play better when under pressure that’s how I would put it… I’ve been flying planes in infinite flight since 2016, 2017 so I guess its just a normal thing for me LOL.

2 Likes

I have really shaky hands and the more crosswind the more easy for me

5 Likes

putting my finger on the rudder button gives me more control of my phone

1 Like

I voted for both because they gave me the option. That is all.

2 Likes

It’s called the two-ends’ paradox. Crosswind landings are (relatively) inconsistent compared to calm landings. What does that mean? That there is a larger variation in crosswind landings, and as such you can achieve both better and worst landings this way. Being an experienced pilot, crosswind landings aren’t that much harder so the “average landing” is the same for (non)crosswinds. It’s just that there is a larger variation and sometimes I pull off better landings, due to the inconsistent nature.

2 Likes

I normally let the wind do its thing otherwise my approach and landing will be horrible. I do some manoeuvres but nothing to drastic and nothing that I wouldn’t know what to do. Also it depends on aircraft. For me the B777 is so nice to landing in crosswinds or no crosswinds whereas the B737 would be harder for me. I am also looking to do smooth landings and I am learning every time I fly

1 Like

I’m just going to push the meaning of this question and say I’m better at crosswinds…….
Man it sure is difficult landing in this 1kt crosswind.

Never said it cant be that, technically is a crosswind 😏

1 Like

In a crossword I cheat by if the wind is blowing from the left land on the right and let the wind push me to c Centerline

Look at the airports METAR online to find the weather.

1 Like

Variants of crosswind I tend to land on ils approach autopilot engaged and align hud path indicator with nose and land in straight on middle of runway.
Crosswind 9 times out of 10 very successful

1 Like