Question Pertaining Realistic Flight plans

Hi everyone!

Ever since I started properly flying in this sim, I’ve been having a flight plan which basically goes from runway to runway, beginning to end. I usually add the basic approach patterns in to (downwind, base, final…), But I’ve seen numerous people (on expert server) who just go straight from the airport to some waypoint in the middle of somewhere, and don’t follow approach or departure with the FP. This does make sense, because approach and departure routes are really up to controllers, but I’m just wondering which is more realistic:

• Entire flight plan from takeoff heading to landing heading (runway to runway)

• FP from airport to departure fix, and vice versa with arrival.

1 Like

The whole flight plan, for sure.
If you want to go a step further approach / departure charts are a very good next step!

2 Likes

Thats what I do, airport, departure, approach, airport, I also try to make the turns toward the airport as smooth as possible to make sure the planes makes the turn, it’s never bigger than 90 degrees

1 Like

Agreeed. One great flight planner for flight simulators is SimBrief. I’m sure you’ve heard of it before :)

1 Like

I personally don’t use SimBrief, too many waypoints are missing and i like the feeling of making my own flight plan, just me though :)

3 Likes

Being able to read approach and departure charts are some of the best ways to add realism. Once you get an understanding you’ll be flying some of the most scenic routes in the world!

1 Like

True- SimBrief isn’t the best out there, Something like fore flight however is great- but it is a paid service. But usually I’m on the same page with you just making my own in the app itself :)

1 Like

Yep, I still search up departure/arrival charts and N. Atlantic tracks and all of that, but I don’t want to just copy-paste, I want it to be my route and my plane.

3 Likes

Just SimBrief with charts and information about the departure and arrival airports will set you up.

Flaming Hot Regards,
N4TE

1 Like

I’d recommend using SID and STAR charts on FlightAware.com for your flight planning. What I do is I go here, choose departure and arrival airports, find a route that looks good, and click on it. That’ll take you to skyvector.com and from there, you click on “NAV Log” and you can get your APD’s there, and copy your flight plan. Then, you go back to FlightAware and you can find the SIDs and STARs for your route. Hopefully you can understand this, and hopefully it helped.

Pretty Hot Regards,
Matt

2 Likes

Honestly neither of them are very realistic that’s why you have Departure procedures, arrival procedures, and approach procedures. No one would be adding a downwind, base, and final leg into a flight plan. You fly a traffic pattern off of sight not a flight plan.

Flight planning series

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.