Question on c130

dumb question here we go.

the reverse thrust on the c130 family is impossible to activate in the air in real life? correct. trying to determine if this is realistic in IF or not

Yes it is, it is a military aircraft and are designed for short runways in small overseas bases, this is irl also.

so in real life you can activate the reverse thrust on the C 130?

1 Like

The reverse trust can come out mid air

that is interesting I totally thought that was not realistic lol

1 Like

You can also use RT on the ground aswell for pushing backwards :)

1 Like

According to a c-130 mechanic that I actually talked to not even an hour ago, he’s either a mechanic or a chief flight engineer, think he’s the engineer. But irl it’s physically impossible to do mid-air as it would just rip the blades off. I may be wrong but this is what he said.

2 Likes

Technically nothing in the cockpit is stopping the pilots of any plane C-130 or 747 of using reverse thrust in mid flight it is sometimes used in mid air in certain conditions to help the plane touchdown just before landing but you wouldn’t want to use it at cruise.

1 Like

Nothing in the cockpit, no. That’s true.

But on something like a 747 (i.e. most commercial airliners) there is of course the weight on wheels switches which stop the reverses from deploying until on the ground.
Same idea as ‘arming’ the spoilers. If you move the speed brake handle on a commercial aircraft, the actual surfaces will only move so far - to the ‘flight detent’ position - until the weight on wheels switch is triggered.

2 Likes

The same power back option is available in ATR as well, usually planes use this option to push back when there is no availability of tugs in an Airport.
Sadly we are not getting the ATR 🥲.
It’s common in Aircrafts that haveVariable Pitch propeller.

Cheers 🥂

Reverse thrust in air is possible on all C-130. there is nothing preventing you from this.
There are technical limitations to what the system can withstand. Those limitations are stated in the technical documents.
How ever the only operator that has a proceedure for this is to my knowledge the italian Airforce, but they have suspended this year’s ago.
The US Airforce explicitly prohibits the use of reverse thrust in the air.

2 Likes

Also irl the c-17 can use reverse trust in mid air.

1 Like

They do this for tactical approaches into an airport in order not to get shot down they descend from cruise about 10NM from the airport and nosedive and use reverse thrust in order not to overspeed the aircraft.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.