Question of the Day - 6/6 Question Posted!

Question of the Day Thread

It’s back, the community question of the day. This was an ongoing thing done by BluePanda900 and brandon_sandstrom back in the day, and I have brought it back. Every day, a question will be posted, ranging in difficulty, to help you learn and become a better pilot (and ATC on some cases). Questions will be posted at 0000Z every day, and previous answer(s) will be given out with explanations at this time. I hope you learn something and have some fun!

Next question will be posted 2020-06-02T00:00:00Z, as well as answer to 2020-06-01T00:00:00Z question.

10 Likes

Oh my goodness I remember this - glad to see it return!

So whens the 18th of May qn coming?

4 Likes

Typing it as you speak :)

2 Likes

next year

4 Likes

5/19 Question!

Posted a bit early, answer will be revealed in approximately 26 hours from time of posting.

Which of the following callsigns is considered ghostable?

• MH370
  • AAAAAAAA
  • Wiggins Airways 6969 Super

0 voters

11 Likes

just…brilliant…

7 Likes

Nice! I remember this awhile back when IFMP was around. Awesome!

1 Like

Haven’t seen this in a while! Glad to have it back!

3 Likes

It’s awesome that you’re bringing back this series!!

2 Likes

5/19 Question Answer

The correct answer to the question was AAAAAAAA, which 67% of the community got correct! While it may seem that MH370 is offensive and disturbing in nature, we cannot tell if it is to pay respects to the flight or something similar to that. Therefore, the IFATC Manual states to take caution when dealing with airline incident callsigns. As for Wiggins Aiways 6969 Super, the number may seem offensive, but we must also think of other reasons why the number may be used. For example, June 9th, 1969 may be someone’s birthday, or there may be another reason why it is being used. The reason why AAAAAAAA can be ghosted is because it clogs up frequency and is considered a spam callsign. Therefore, if someone has that callsign in an IFATC-controlled airspace, you may receive a “please change callsign or you will be ghosted” message for this callsign, as well as other spam callsigns (ABCDEFGH or 11111111).

Thank you to the 64 that participated today!

5/20 Question

You are inbound to a controlled airspace for landing with only a tower frequency active. When is it appropriate to call inbound?

• 50 miles out, 18000 feet AGL or below
  • 100 miles out, cruise altitude or below
  • 25 miles out, 10000 feet AGL or below
  • 25 miles out, 15000 feet MSL or below

0 voters

4 Likes

Accidentally reset poll, if you already answered, please answer again :)

2 Likes

Oops, I fell asleep for a bit. Question and answer are coming your way right now!

2 Likes

5/20 Answer

The correct answer was 25 miles out, 10000 feet AGL or below. A general rule of thumb with this is when there is approach, you can contact approach 50 miles out and 18000 feet AGL or below, but do not do the same with tower in the case that approach is not active. You should be 25 miles from the airport at or below 10000 feet AGL before contacting the tower frequency.

Thanks to the 17 that participated!

5/21 Question

The elevation of Northwest Arkansas Airport (KXNA) is 1287 feet MSL. Suppose an aircraft asks for a transition over this airport. What would be the appropriate transition altitude you should give?

• 2500 feet
  • 3000 feet
  • 3500 feet
  • 4000 feet

0 voters

2 Likes

It depends, is the aircraft a prop or a jet?

1 Like

Transition altitudes are the same for all aircraft.

2 Likes

5/21 Answer

The correct answer was 4000 feet. Congrats to the 54% of you that got that correct! Remember that the formula is to add 2500 to the altitude, then round up to the nearest multiple of 500. 1287 + 2500 = 3787, which rounds up to 4,000. Therefore, 4,000 is accurate.

5/22 Question

You are the tower controller, and an aircraft calls inbound on the visual approach after being handed off from the approach controller (who cleared the aircraft for the visual approach). What is your course of action? (Note: Assume that there is an aircraft on a 2 mile final in front of the aircraft calling in.

• Landing Clearance
  • Sequencing, then Landing Clearance
  • Sequence
  • Landing, Pattern Entry, Sequence

0 voters

2 Likes

Glad to see I got yesterday’s correct before I apply for IFATC 😅

1 Like

5/22 Answer

The correct answer is Sequencing, then Landing Clearance. Great job, 92% got that right! When on an ILS approach, a clearance is all that is needed. For a visual approach, a sequencing and landing clearance are needed. Finally, for radar vectors and flight following, a pattern entry, then sequence, then clearance is the correct procedure. Great job everyone!

5/23 Question

You’ve spawned on top of another aircraft. What should you do?

• Despawn, find somewhere else
  • Request pushback to remove yourself from the other aircraft
  • Wait for the other aircraft to despawn
  • Eat a taco and watch Netflix

0 voters

2 Likes

Eat a taco 🌮 and watch Netflix Obviously.

2 Likes

I could see 2 correct answers possible here, just saying.

1 Like