Question for crossing runway

Hello everybody! 👋🏻

I have a little question regarding the crossing runway command on unicom and ATC.

Imagine your at KSFO crossing runway 28L/10R which runway do you choose when your saying your crossing a runway, runway 28L or 10R?

1 Like

Depends on which runway is in use!

1 Like

Whichever runway is active. If traffic is using the 10s, announce that you’re crossing the 10s.

How do you know which one is in use?

Usually it is orange or green!

1 Like

Oh got that! Thanks.

This just shows which runway is more ideal for the winds and more often than not that runway is in use apart from at airports like VNLK where it is impossible to use one side of the runway.

1 Like

if they are both green and no one has said anything about either runway it is your choice

1 Like

This is a very interesting question. Thankyou for posting it as it also helped me!

1 Like

Yes… but usually look at the METAR and see where the winds are and which one is more ideal! You would prefer a headwind more than a tailwind.

2 Likes

Well, where are you going? If you are taxiing to 28R, and need to cross 28L/10R, then 28L will be in use because the 28s are the active. If you just landed, which runway did you land on? Same concept.

As for if you are taxiing to a completely different runway (say 19s - which I know are like barely ever used), then look at other traffic and what it looks like they are doing.

2 Likes

Ask yourself if you were to use that runway, which end would you take off from. Use that for crossing.

2 Likes

there are still times where winds are 0

1 Like

If there is wind calm I usually check Flightradar24 to see which are the active runways.

1 Like

Yes that is when you look at FR24 😉

or it is up to you!

not everyone does use Flightradar24 or have multiple devices to do so. I do and do my best to land the optimal or in use runways but there are also times where you get caught in the middle of a runway swap and life happens.

I think we are splitting hares here.

If there’s traffic use that
If there’s no traffic use what is best based on winds
If the winds are calm and no traffic, pilots choice… (If the airport is that dead to begin with who is hearing your crossing to judge you)

4 Likes

Another pointer is if one runway has an ILS, but the other doesn’t. Typically, the ILS runwat is preferred if thre is only one

The 1s really should be used more often though as they are the primary departure runway for most aircraft (most of the heavies can’t depart from these runways due to winds or runway length but otherwise not too short for most other jets)

I know. But, I was justing using them as an example.

1 Like