Question for ATC.

Do you ever accept altitude change requests? What is the protocol for you to accept an altitude change.

2 Likes

There is no protocol other than having the right altitude for your direction of flight. If you want an altitude change, request it and if the controller can accommodate your request then you’re done.

3 Likes

Yes, we do accept change requests on occasion. As long as traffic is clear on conflicting flight levels, in addition to not interfering with approach/departure plans, we can give you what you request.

5 Likes

As @joshFly8 said we do accept them if they are reasonable. However I personally will not accept a climb request to FL260 or above with a direct flight plan. I won’t accept a decent request, when you are further out then the request warrants. Lastly I will not allow a decent request into terrain. I know, I know I’m a jerk it honestly does happen quiete offen.

5 Likes

Why not? It’s called survival of the fittest. Eliminates idiots

7 Likes

As much as we’d love to, we can’t.

It’s also called “Being a pretty bad controller” if you’d allow aircrafts under your care crash into terrain.

8 Likes

Pretty sure this topic is sufficiently answered by now…

1 Like

I totally agree. @wooden3D - if you have any further ATC related questions, feel free to PM any of the active IFATC controllers :)

2 Likes