Question about new directive 3.2.6 in the ATC manual

Hey community,

As from March 15, there are some adaptations in the ATC manual and one of them can be found in section 3.2.6.

“Jet aircraft are assumed ready for departure upon reaching the hold short line at the assigned departure runway. Controllers may issue a line up & wait or takeoff clearance prior to the aircraft requesting departure.”

This could be very useful on busy moments but I have a couple of questions about this.

1. Can this only be used when the jet has a flightplan and if so isn’t it possible to do t&g’s first before continuing to your destination?
  2. When I receive a LUAW and/or TKOFF clearance (before I state my request), shall I ask “remaining in the pattern” on the rwy or when just airborne on upwind?
  3. Wouldn’t it be better to only permit this when the ATIS says "no pattern work allowed; FPL required " and/or in IMC conditions. (Not possible on the training server in abscence of ATIS)
  4. In case the pilot isn’t ready(could always happen), a simple “standby” suffice without implications?

Can anyone of the IFATC elaborate on this?

Thanks in advance,
Stef

3 Likes

Hey, I’ll be happy to help you!

Answers to the following questions.

1. No. It can be used in any scenario regardless if they have a flight plan or not.
  2. This is a very good question, but I am not entirely sure about it. However, if there is a departure line, you can request departure before you are first in line. Make sure to include that you are “in sequence.” Ex: XXX is ready for departure IN SEQUENCE at Runway XX, Remaining in the Pattern.
  3. Looking at the fine print in the manual, there is no specification on whether or not certain “remarks” need to be included in ATIS, to issue a LUAW or T/O whether or not the aircraft has announced ready for departure.
  4. If they are the first line, they should presumably be ready. Especially in busy hub airports, you could get a violation. Especially if rolling departures are specified in ATIS.
3 Likes

If the airport allows pattern work, then call inbound for touch and goes once you are airborne, on upwind. Remember, that should be used only if you never got the chance to ask for takeoff

These new rules are very focused on a busy airspace, so is very important to be ready once you are near the hold short line, especially to keep efficiency

3 Likes

That’s correct. There’s no need for the VIS conditions (or any) remarks. Again, the 3.2.6 directive has a close up look into a busy airspace. If there’s a huge line, that should be moved quickly and efficiently.

3 Likes