Question about long hauls

Can I sleep during the cruise of my longhaul. Taking off at Heathrow at 1am and landing in jfk at 7am

1 Like

Indeed you can! I do it quite frequently infact…

Just make sure you have enough fuel, and you should be good to go. Happy flying!

3 Likes

Just male sure you have alarm on and altitude is odd(you are flying east)

1 Like

West actually, so needs an even altitude. Speaking of which, go to a sensible altitude for the weight of the plane after takeoff, like FL340 or FL360 - don’t immediately go up to FL400 as you run the risk of it crashing. Monitor your climb until cruise is reached.

LHR-JFK is a rather short flight for an overnight though, given you should be getting 8 hours sleep between reaching cruise altitude and starting your descent. LHR-LAX/SFO may be better.

3 Likes

Oh sorry it was from egll

1 Like

Easy way to remember which altitude to use is the saying, east is least west is best. So odd number altitude if your heading is 0° To 180° and even if your 181° to 359°.

Thanks gunna do lhr to lax tonight

Good luck with the flight! I try to make sure I’ve factored in time for me to wake up properly with over night long hauls. I once woke up, checked my phone and realised I needed to descend immediately. I was still groggy and it didn’t go well, 5-10 minutes later I’d of had the sense to widen out my approach to allow for the descent!

We live and learn!

I would sleep for only about half of the hour your flight takes and make sure to know your ETE. Make an alarm and plug your phone/device in to the charger.

1 Like

Check out my response from a similar post

Sometimes I’m afraid about my devices battery when I’m doing this

My tablet has about 6 payments left on a 2 year plan and , well need another

London heathrow to JFK is west not east

I usually pack a little extra fuel if I know I’m going to be sleeping. That way if you over sleep, you might’ve overflown your destination - but at least you’re still flying and don’t have any violations.

For me to prepare a sleeping long haul (What I call it lol) is these steps.

1. Check what flight I would like to do. If I wanted to Start at 9PM and wake up at 9AM, I would have to do a 12 hour flight.
  2. Set fuel right, low battery mode.
  3. Make sure your phone is charged in and no Updates for phone happen overnight and shut off all notifications. | If an update for example comes up, it pauses your flight
  4. Takeoff and set an alarm
  5. Sleep
2 Likes

It is advisable to sleep when you are doing a long haul flight. Because by sleeping we can rest for several hours. So that we don’t get too saturated when the flight takes place.

Updates 🤦🏼‍♂️ Nothing more frustrating than putting in all the work, getting in the air, falling asleep, waking up expecting to have a few minutes to get ready for the decent, and then seeing the dreaded pause screen and you’re still 9 hours from your destination. Happened to me last week 😖

1 Like

For western altitude that are used are even. Not an odd altitude, if we fly eastward. We can use odd altitude. Because in my opinion it is a rule that has been set in flight. And step climbs must also be done when the flight takes place. Correct me if I am wrong, or you can also add it :)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.