Question about crosswind takeoff and landing

When there’s 15 kts wind coming from the left I do crosswind takeoff and slide rudder to right, do I slide rudder to the right and hold it there as I reach V1, rotate and slowly bring it back to neutral as I climb or slide rudder to the right at V1, rotate and as soon as I’m airborne I release the rudder and let it automatically return to its neutral position? Is it normal for an aircraft to not maintain the runway direction as in fly slowly towards the right due to the crosswind? Because as soon as I leave the airspace my plane is like nowhere near the ILS cone or the runway (the wind as blown to too far away)

As for landing under the same wind conditions, I maintain flight path on centreline while my nose is facing another direction. When callout 20…10 I remove thrust, use rudder and try to align the nose with flight path but as soon as I hit the ground I loose control of plane and it doesn’t align anymore, even rudder or nose wheel steering won’t work cause I’m too fast.

I’ve seen Mark’s tutorial on crosswind landings, so don’t send me the link.

1 Like

I would like to see a video of this in order for us to better understand and give valuable advice. You can use a third party app to record one and upload it to YouTube. .

Also, this below link really helped me to master crosswind landings on Infinite Flight. Consider taking a look under the “techniques” section.

For takeoff you bring the rudder back to neutral after lifting off and point your nose on a heading that has you track the runway head. So for example, if the crosswind is from the left, you nose would be pointed at some number of degrees to the left of runway heading, ie: Heading 254 to track (fly) 260.

As for landing, the above post sums up my thoughts thus far. Can’t really figure out what’s going wrong with the information presented.

For a visual, forward to 3:09 in this clip to see a moderately strong crosswind takeoff and landing.

1 Like

Mark has a video of it. For my situation it’s quite similar except during touchdown instead of being able to control the plane like what he did I can’t and my plane just goes wherever the wind takes it to.

1 Like

Exactly how @Aquila explained, you always want to be going a few degrees against the crosswind, say 3-6°. I updated my reply to include a few detailed landing charts for your choosing. I usually come in a De-Crab and snap the rudder to my track just before the main gear touch down. Also, you want the main landing gear facing closest to the crosswind to touchdown first. In the below example you will want your right, main landing gear to touch down before your left main gear.

(This image is not mine and is from the information site “Wikipedia”.)
svg

2 Likes

If I don’t do that and continue to land both wheels at the same time will I loose control of the plane?

Not necessarily, the biggest issue is that right wing picking up. Which you do not want. Ground effect can throw the aircraft into a roll.

1 Like

As for the landing, my 10 cents are this: rudder against the wind whilst on the air, align last 2 seconds before TD, then rudder with the wind whilst firmely on the runway. Crosswind affect the aircraft in opposite ways if in the air or on the grounds (because it pushes the tail on the ground and make the plane turn towards the wind side).
Happy landings.

I put my rudder at max deflection but still my aircraft can’t move left or right. Right now, if I use rudder after TD it will end up on the taxiway beside, that’s how bad the crosswind is.

This is for bad wind like 10kts and above crosswind, below that I’m still able to control.

What kind of aircraft are you flying?

B777-300ER, I rarely fly GA planes.

1 Like

Ah. The 777, former stiff rudder. What did Mark have to say about the video that you sent him by the way? That aircraft seems to still have the stiff rudder. Mods correct me if I’m wrong on this but is the rudder still unusable when the main gear are touched down?

1 Like

The rudder is unusable if you’re above a certain speed. I think it applies to all aircraft.

It’s more evident on the 777. But are you saying you cant rudder at all before touchdown because if that is the case then you need to send us a video in your next reply that is the only way we can figure it out from there.

1 Like

I can use rudder before touchdown it’s only afterwards when I’m at 140kts on the runway then it’s useless.

Then you answered your own question. All rudder input for that aircraft must be used to correct for your track before main gear touchdown :). Its until speeds are below 80knt.

That means even if I try my best to align my nose to the runway before touchdown and if it still moves left or right afterwards I can do nothing about it? :(

1 Like

Pretty much :). It is a new system, I don’t like it either (it is not realistic at all) but it is to help users learn to use the rudder before touchdown, which is how they do it in real life

I will say this, the 777 is one of mabye three aircraft that I have seriously flown on IF and I currently fly the a321 and it does not have the same stiff rudder.

You may want to try other aircraft like the CRJ, or A321 as you can use the rudder on the ground at touchdown.

1 Like

At landings the rudder works just fine, until you set down the nosewheel. At crosswind landings, Marks tutorial states you need to keep the nose up as long as you can, because during this time you can control the nose if the aircraft with the rudder (unless the crosswind is too strong of course).

So yes, do just the rudder, just before touchdown, to lineup the nose, as mentioned. But don’t think the aircraft cannot be steered upon touchdown.

2 Likes

That’s tricky for the 777 (as I have to make sure my speed is not too slow and not too fast that I become airborne again)! Furthermore I’m dealing with crosswinds of more than 20kts, is that considered too strong?