Qatar Airways Voted #1 | SkyTrax's Airline of the Year Award | 2017

Qatar Airways is officially the Best Airline in the world right now according to polls conducted by SkyTrax.

19.87 million eligible survey entries were counted in the final 2017 results. The survey period stretched from August 2016 through May 2017 and included participation from travelers of 105 nationalities. More than 325 airlines were included in the survey. With the number 1 results coming from Qatar Airways!

[details=Top 25 Airlines in SkyTrax’s Ratings]1. Qatar Airways
2. Singapore Airlines
3. All Nippon Airways
4. Emirates
5. Cathay Pacific
6. EVA Air
7. Lufthansa
8. Etihad Airways
9. Hainan Airlines
10. Garuda Indonesia
11. Thai Airways
12. Turkish Airlines
13. Virgin Australia
14. Swiss International Air Lines
16. Japan Airlines
17. Austrian Airlines
18. Air France
19. Air New Zealand
20. Asiana Airlines
21. Bangkok Airways
22. KLM
23. China Southern
24. Hong Kong Airlines
25. Finnair[/details]

[details=Continental Categories and Winners]* In North America, Air Canada took the title for “Best Airline in North America.”

• In South America, Avianca took the title for “Best Airline in South America”

• In Central America / Caribbean, Copa Airlines took the title for “Best Airline in Central America / Caribbean”

• In Africa, Ethiopian Airlines took the title for “Best Airline in Africa”

• In Asia, Singapore Airlines took the title for “Best Airline in Asia”

• In Australia / Pacific, Virgin Australia took the title for “Best Airline in Australia and the Pacific”

• In Europe, Lufthansa took the title for “Best Airline in Europe”[/details]

About The World Airline Awards

The World Airline Awards are most coveted Quality accolades for the airline industry, often referred to as “the Oscars of the aviation industry”, and are a global benchmark of airline excellence. Travelers across the globe take part each year in the world’s largest airline passenger satisfaction survey to decide the winners.

#What do you think about this years results?
Congrats to Qatar Airways and all the other airlines on the great performance and satisfaction! Keep up the great work!

13 Likes

Bad timing considering the diplomatic crisis and the effect it’s had on the airline.

3 Likes

I don’t think anyone realizes how annoyed I am. Staff is nice, planes are falling apart, Food is not edible, and people on the planes are another story.

I was expecting South African Airways to win, like they have the past 15 years. I guess they’re second now… Im counting on them to win next year!

Apparently they were expecting to win, so they sent a crew to Paris to receive the trophy, then Ethiopian won… :)

1 Ethiopian Airlines
2 South African Airways
3 Air Mauritius
4 Air Seychelles
5 Kenya Airways
6 Royal Air Maroc
7 TAAG Angola Airlines
8 Fastjet
9 Kulula
10 Mango

These are the top 10 best airlines in African, take note how three of them are South African. Clearly South African hospitality, and airlines, are pretty good! South African Airways rank 49 in the world.

Its also pretty sad, in 2013 SAA was 21 in the top 100. Now they 49…

Sorry for this long comment, had to release some anger. As you can see, I’m not one for this years results. :)

4 Likes

I didnt hear that story yet… xD

Ethiopian Airlines are atleast getting new aircraft (A359, B788, B777F) and they are fixing their airline slowly but surely… :)

2 Likes

I was on one of the newer 777-300ER’s, compared to the other airlines that fly that plane 77W, ET has some problems, lol. Give it a year or two and they will be like the rest of the planes.

2 Likes

They could get these new ones maintenance more often… I mean you would think/hope…

2 Likes

I agree Ethiopian is just horrible compared to SAA. KQ would have won this if it wasn’t for their ridiculously expensive tickets and a spate of bad decisions by overworking their 787s.

3 Likes

Flew Qatar in December/January. Didn’t see what was so amazing. Sure the entertainment was good and it’s always cool to fly the a350, but I thought Emirates was much better with the hot towels and the better entertainment…

4 Likes

I was on one of their A350 flights from NBO-ADD. Even though it was a treat to get such a new long range aircraft on such a short flight (1h 20min to be exact) everything was dissapointing except the A350.

I agree with @jdag2004, Ethiopian might have all the new planes (737-8 MAX is coming around 2017-2018) the atmosphere lacks. Food is not satisfactory, flight attendants etc…

4 Likes

Qatar seems odd to me since, you know. Diplomatic melt down.

1 Like

Qatar is not the best to fly with for short-medium haul. Imagine a 5h flight with no IFE! That is QR’s older A320s for you. Otherwise they are really satisfactory even how they handle their guests.

3 Likes

I flew long haul from the US, honestly though, when we boarded 3/4 planes, the crew barely smiled as they welcomed us. If you compare that to Delta, the quality may not be as good, but the staff is really friendly!

2 Likes

But we have to congratulate QR.
They have managed to maintain normal operations to the rest of the world even though they have a very devastating airspace restriction.

4 Likes

I flew on an older A320 but the rest of the short haul flights which were 3 others had IFE and it was brilliant. The flight that didn’t have it was only 40 minutes so I didn’t care anyway.

3 Likes

Yeah, SAA, in my opinion should have won the best. It’s just the best experience, I don’t care how old there planes are, it’s not that bad compared to others. Everything is great, I feel like I get business service in economy… Do you have a pic of the Wong view of ET’s A350?

Not to mention my IFE wasn’t working on my 14hr+ flight…

3 Likes

Sadly no, the A350 flight was a night flight.
Departed NBO at around 7:30 pm

3 Likes

Ah, I had a late flight into Addis Ababa too.

How was the seat and all on the new plane?

3 Likes

There some A320s which are really good especially the ones with A7-AH* tail numbers

1 Like

Everything was nice, IFE was responding well, nice 18 inch economy seats. Plenty of legroom too. The plane was really clean maybe because it was really new when I flew with it. The plane itself was excellent.

2 Likes

Also remember that this poll was taken from August '16 - May '17. The Diplomatic Relationship Crisis started late May, so the outcome could have turned different if the poll went on longer

4 Likes