Qatar Airways to launch Canberra-Doha Flights

In February 2018, Qatar Airways is set to launch Canberra-Doha (YSCB-OTHH) flights. This is really exciting as Canberra Airport is gaining more and more international flights.
(The first one a Singapore Airlines 777)

The route will be served by the fresh and brand new A350-900 (A359) (not fully confirmed)Which may be a chance for all you Aussie-Spotters out there to capture the A350.

Credits to J.V
Link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mav31/14924655964

The long-awaited launch was among the new routes promoted at Dubai’s Arabian Travel Market, although the Oneworld airline has not confirmed if the flights would be routed via Sydney, as previously tipped by CEO Akbar Al Baker.

Qatar Airways is also looking at a second daily flight to Melbourne from mid-2018, following the mid-2017 upgrade of the Melbourne-Doha service from a Boeing 777 to the airline’s flagship Airbus A380, and is considering direct Brisbane-Doha flights if air traffic caps are lifted.

I personally think this is a great step forward for Canberra Intl and Qatar Airways. I think both will benefit from these flights.

So - what are your opinions?

13 Likes

Nice! Good for Canberra airport! They are finally putting runway 35 to good use!

1 Like

Haha, yeah! 😂

Although I’m pretty sure the 777 uses it

2 Likes

Not much, though. Can’t wait until Emirates starts flying the A380 there ‘cause Emirates is flying the 380 everywhere.

3 Likes

Wait, OTBD? That is the Old Airport, Do you mean OTHH? Or…?

2 Likes

This is great, benefiting both airport and airline. Just like the new BA route to fort lauderdale in the 777. For the benefit of the airport and the airline to open up new demands, especially with an aircraft like the A350 that is very fuel efficient and can afford to fly low demand routes. I am sure this will be a good step foward for Qatari and Canberra intl.

4 Likes

Why can’t they begin a service to Brisbane?

2 Likes

Wait just have a question… Is that some issues related to Qatar and some GCC countries is over which had affected the the national carrier of Qatar to ristrict flying over the the affected GCC countries airspace… Though which the national carrier demand went low.

1 Like

Oh I didn’t realise… I guess I’ll just edit it out :)

Thanks

1 Like

Now way! This is exciting, soon Canberra will actually be connected to the rest of the world.

2 Likes

I bet you its gonna cost about £1,500 per person and that’s probably just economy!

1 Like

B…bb…bbbut Emirates don’t fly Doha to Canberra…

1 Like

Yes I know, I am saying Emirates are probably cheaper.

1 Like

Holy moly! I live in Canberra!! SUPER excited to see this bird!

2 Likes

Emirates are cheaper to somewhere they don’t actually fly? I am not sure that makes any sense.

Also where is your evidence Emirates pilots are better than QR or other airlines?

6 Likes

It’s great. Slowly our Nations Capital will be directly linked to the International World. 🤙🏾

3 Likes

I didn’t say they flew from Canberra to Doha I don’t know where you got that idea but I’m saying that in general they are probably cheaper.[quote=“ATK, post:15, topic:130710”]
Also where is your evidence Emirates pilots are better than QR
[/quote]

They probably are, they do soft landings like Lufthansa.

It’s awesome to see this flight. Hopefully this flight would be succesful and give both parties an advantage

Are they going to make Sydney as a stopover refuel or they are allowed to take passengers between SYD-CBR sector? I’m sure this flight would attract passengers, especially Business-Travellers

1 Like

#pleasestayontopic #thankyou

13 Likes

Based on what? At the risk of boring everyone else with the answer feel free to send a PM instead.

[quote]They probably are, they do soft landings like Lufthansa.
[/quote]

I seem to remember a somewhat non-soft landing last August in Dubai which lead to the loss of a 777 - but let’s not let any facts get in the way of a few good hashtags ;)

Anyway, let’s get back on topic - the topic is QR and their new route to Canberra. Emirates has nothing to do with this topic.