Qatar Airways to buy 49% stake in Africa's RwandAir

An interesting story indeed!

Qatar Airways has been rumoring for months recently about buying a large stake of Africa’s RwandAir. In order to understand why, lets see what Qatar Airways planes with this investment.

The Plans

Qatar airways is said to buy a 49% stake in RwandAir, said Qatar Airways Chief Executive Officer Akbar al-Baker. They want to buy a large part of the airline and later expand It and its operations by using an “aid.” Qatar Airways says that the African Aviation market is rapidly expanding and is a good place to invest in. Tthe CEO also mentioned how they would use the airline for fights to Doha thats were not affected by the blockade, thus giving passengers a much quicker flight experience which could ultimately lead to higher profits if they succeed with buying a stake in the airline.

“We are very tough negotiators … we will take our time to negotiate.”

-Qatar Airways Chief Executive Officer Akbar al-Baker told reporters on Wednesday in the Qatari capital of Doha.

The CEO, Akbar al-baker said that they will not miss this opportunity as its a very feasible and bright one that could definitely help out the African state of Rwand, thus helping the airline at the same time.
Apart from RwandAir, Qatar Airways also nought a 60% stake in the Rwand airport, hinting of a further move that could involve the state’s airline, which is present here.

About RwandAir

RwandAir is an airline that is based out of Kigali International Airport in Kigali. It offers flights to Africa, Europe, Middle East, and Asia using its Airbus A330 and B737 aircraft, with an order of 1 Airbus A330 Neo aircraft. The airline was established in 2003, and has since then been expanding its regional and International network.

The fleet

Aircraft In operation On order
A330-200 1 NA
A330-300 1 NA
A330-900Neo NA 2
B737-700 2 NA
B737-800 4 NA
B737-8MAX NA 2
CRJ900er 2 NA
Dash 8 Q-400 2 NA

A RwandAir Airbus A330-300 landing at Kigali International Airport

Well thats it! Thanks for reading, let me know what you think about this post, and as always, see you around!

Sources

https://www.aljazeera.com/ajimpact/qatar-airways-talks-buy-49-stake-rwanda-state-carrier-200205095627333.html

15 Likes

Well that’s interesting… I wonder what other plans Qatar has in store for the airline

1 Like

Kigali is a very good geographical location for a potential African hub from what I can see on a map, but still investing in such an airline without that much of a big (international) reach from a foreign country has many challenges. Interesting move by Qatar, thanks for the information!

2 Likes

Interesting decision to invest in Rwanda and Rwandair itself. Seeing the growth of the country now, it can easily become a huge African airline.

2 Likes

Definitely agree with you and @JulianB!

2 Likes

Honestly, I could see RwandAir as a potential secondary African Oneworld member as Royal Air Maroc’s destinations from Casablanca don’t cover southern Africa:

…while RwandAir’s network from Kigali covers destinations unserved by Royal Air Maroc:

Though, RwandAir currently only partners with Star Alliance members at the moment.

If anything, I could see Qatar’s stake promoting RwandAir to explore more destinations such as New York JFK.

1 Like

Interesting indeed and surprising. I wonder if Qatar Airways will just be “using” the airline to circumvent the blockade like you mentioned and if the blockade will somehow be imposed on any assets Qatar Airways has a stake in. RwandAir seems to have a nice and small but sufficient profitable fleet right now but there is room for expansion as a hub-and-spoke network much like how Ethiopian uses Addis Ababa.

*country of Rwanda

2 Likes

It’s spelt Rwanda btw, that’s all I was trying to point out. The airline has Rwanda in the name but it’s obviously stylised differently to RwandAir

2 Likes

Thanks for the reminder, will fix that!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.