Qantas considering A220 to replace B717

Qantas considers A220 to replace B717. This follows reports that qantas will chose an aircraft to replace the B717 as it is getting too old for the likings of qantas.

Once again you can read Sam Chui’s article here: https://samchui.com/2019/10/30/airbus-a220-tour-has-qantas-interested/#.XboCKy_ZXmo

20 Likes

Wow, this is very great for Airbus!! First Spirit, then IndiGo! I hope Qantas decides to buy the A220.

2 Likes

me being in QVG and a chance that A220 is coming soon: yay

With QantasLink’s 717 having 110-125 seats, the A220-100 can easily replace it and enhance customer experience with a new interior.

1 Like

Wonder if Hawaiian might be doing the same. Dunno if the PW GTF’s can take those cycles.

2 Likes

I would love to see a livery like the Qantas 100 Livery on the A220 - that would look 🔥🔥🔥

2 Likes

If that is true, then hells to the yes! I will go for that, A220 in a Qantas Livery.

As stated in Wendover Production’s video, he stated that there will be a demand for a few thousand of these jets. This is a start, also, if Hawaiian decides to buy a few A220s then I will be pretty damn happy. Those things actually can fly to Hawaii if they receive ETOPS cert. They actually have enough range to hop the pond.

2 Likes

Also the A220 has a fantastic cabin atmosphere sue to its huge windows, is pretty silent and an absolute joy to fly!

Hopefully the engine issues are solved soon and Qantas nonetheless pots for this superb and amazing airplane!

1 Like

As stated above, can I point out the fact that at max fuel it can actually hop the pond. If it gets ETOPS, Qantas can actually run it to New Zealand and back.

That’s very true, especially with the enhanced range/higher MTOW now available thanks to Airbus!

Thanks for pointing this important fact out!

1 Like

Noooooo! The 717 is awesome, my favourite aircraft to fly domestically :(

2 Likes

Sorry but I will need you to turn in your gun and badge.

3 Likes

Nice Qantas A220-300 concept by Liams_Aviation_Edits on Insta.

5 Likes

Nice dude.

Could give us a bit more information on this topic?

Click on the link mate then pm me for more info @Luke_L

There is no problem with the 717. It is a good, solid workhorse of a plane. It’s service career is not near over, it still has many years left. Years, it may be from the ‘90s, but it has the capability to go on strong to 2030, which is what Delta is doing. The aircraft is solid, there’s nothing wrong with it, perfectly fine. I honestly don’t see why they’re retiring it. Sure, the passengers may have a better experience, and it’s all glass in the cockpit. But the 717 has potential and is already competing with the A220, and doing well. And the A220 is overrated anyway, while the 717 is underrated. The 717 has a history — going back to the ancient and legendary DC-9, and some passengers like planes that have a history of being a good plane. The A220, has No history at all, it was just made. Well, This is just my opinion. Feel free to bash me being one of the only people not in support of this, but, it’s Qantas’s decision, not mine.

2 Likes

Maintenance probably comes into this also. Delta would have much easier access to parts, in Australia, I doubt they are widely available, certainly not at scrap prices either. Qantas seems to want to modernise, Delta is one of the few airlines who have bothered to retrofit their old aircraft. Most others won’t do such a thing until they introduce a new aircraft sadly.

3 Likes

While I have never flown on either aircraft, I think this is a good move for Qantas.

I like the 717 better than the A220 as it is more iconic and just better :), but this would work well for them.

Just hoping we get to see the 717 fly with Qantas for a couple more years.

2 Likes

Thanks @Butter_Boi, @Chatta290and @Key for helping and expanding on the topic

3 Likes