Qantas Announces "Project Fysh"

Qantas Announces “Project Fysh” Fleet Renewal Program

Some exciting news has just been announced by Qantas today as they reported on their FY23 results. Introducing “Project Fysh” fleet renewal program to replace their current A330 aircraft. The project is named “Project Fysh” in honour of Sir Hudson Fysh who co-founded Qantas and was the managing director of Qantas when they began international flying in 1935.

Check out the article from the Qantas Newsroom below:

In short, Qantas has ordered 24 new aircraft to replace their ageing A330 aircraft including 12 Boeing 787 and 12 A350-1000 aircraft. The order for the Boeing 787 includes 4 Boeing 787-9 and 8 Boeing 787-10 orders which will be a new variant for the Australian flag carrier.

It’s certainly some exciting news coming out of the Spirit of Australia and I personally can’t wait to see these aircraft being implemented into the network first hand when they are delivered and the opportunities that these new aircraft will provide Qantas for their continue growth and expansion.

What is your thoughts on this new aircraft order and how do you believe these new aircraft could benefit the flag carrier of Australia?

24 Likes

This is interesting, and certainly overdue.

1 Like

i think you meant overdue

1 Like

It certainly is interesting! In my opinion, I personally feel like it was a smart decision to go with the Boeing 787 and A350 for additional orders as it provides fleet commonality therefore less training costs as Qantas already operate the Boeing 787.

Additionally, these aircraft have increased range compared to the A330’s that they are replacing therefore being very versatile in the routes that they will operate and provides the opportunity for new route expansion in addition to the new routes already planned and in the pipeline.

For example, Qantas use the A330 on a couple of flights between Melbourne and Sydney during peak times (early morning or afternoon) and to see the Boeing 787 or even maybe the A350’s (though I think the Boeing 787 would be more likely) operating these routes would be fantastic for the airline.

5 Likes

Yes, sorry about that!

1 Like

How I should react: wow, this is a great project that will surely modernize QF’s fleet

How I actually reacted: haha project fish lol

15 Likes

My god I think I just had a heart attack. I’ll be sad to see the A330s go but I’m super excited for the future!

1 Like

I always thought the A330neo wouldn’t be a bad option for them but I guess the B787 and A350 aligns with their current fleet and future plans such as Project Sunrise.

2 Likes

Same. Hopefully they will still operate widebodies on the east-west routes after the A330s leave the fleet.

1 Like

Here’s one of Qantas’s official renders of the 787-10, 787-9 and A350-1000 from the order:

I have to say, the background of the 787 render is gorgeous.

5 Likes

I can just see it now, the Cathay, Qatar and Qantas A350-1000’s parked side by side at HKIA. Would look so good!

3 Likes

Amazing. I mean, there’s not much more to say - you can really see the way Qantas has enabled these global manufactures to change their strategies around for the better benefit of commerical aviation.

The A350/787 combo is going to be a powerhouse for Qantas, Australia and the world alike!

Cannot wait!

3 Likes

Okay, just to poke the bear - is enabling 19 hour long haul flights really for the betterment of commercial aviation?

1 Like

In my humble opinion, yes! Can pushing the boundaries of current technology ever really be considered a bad thing?

1 Like

I was pointing at the fact that, when Qantas ordered their 787s in 2005, Airbus completely revisited their widebody strategy. This arguably bettered commercial aviation.

It’s also worth noting that the 12 A350-1000 aircraft ordered as part of Project Fysh are not the exclusive ULR varient and are solely focussed on replacing Qantas’ A380 and A330 aircraft.

1 Like

Just a thought I had, since the additional 12 A350’s that Qantas ordered are not the ULR as they are replacing the A380 and A330’s, maybe they could of went for the -900 variant instead. Similar to how Qantas currently operate the A330-200 and A330-300 variants.

1 Like

Since they are replacing the larger A380, it makes sense that the larger A350 variant was chosen over the -900. However it still wouldn’t surprise me if -900s are ordered later on to support the larger -1000s on less-in-demand routes. (e.g. replacing the 787 on PER-LHR/FCO)

1 Like

I’ll be very sad to see the A330 go.
But it will be interesting to see what happens. I’m very excited for the A350.

3 Likes

I agree, although the -900 probably doesn’t fit the bill as well. The -1000 would likely be in a high capacity layout as it’d be the aircraft which has more capacity and range than the 787-10 and so would be the replacement to their A380s.

With that said, I would suggest that the 787-10 is replacing the A330 fleet. The -10 has more capacity and more range than the A330, but so does the A321LR/XLRs which are replacing the 737-800s under Project Winton.

And so, I would see Qantas use the 787-10s in the Asian and Oceanic markets, with the A350-1000s being used in the North American, South American and African markets. This would mean that 787-9s become free from those routes, allowing a further expansion into North America, India and potentially Europe, depending on what the airline does about its Perth base. The fact they’ve opted for more -9s makes me swing that way.

Either way, I see this as the end of Qantas’ domestic widebody operations, excluding the domestic hops across the country to then fly to Europe. Which is sad, but oh well.

2 Likes

Hopefully this means a route to Paris 😳🇫🇷🥖

2 Likes