Qantas Announces Finalisation of 'Project Winton'

Some exciting news from Qantas today!

Australia’s flag carrier has announced it’s investigation into it’s fleets’ future are reaching their final stages. The meetings held with Boeing, Airbus, Embraer and engine manufactures in Boston this week have marked a key milestone in Qantas’ determination of its preferred aircraft which will serve Qantas’ domestic network for the next two decades.

So, what aircraft are under consideration?

Qantas has announced four families to be under investigation. These are the Boeing 737 MAX Family, Airbus A320neo Family, Embraer E-Jet-E2 and Airbus A220 Families. The project, remarked as ‘Project Winton’, a nod to the airlines’ origins, will see an order for more than 100 new aircraft, to be delivered by the end of 2034.

The A320neo/737 MAX will replace the airlines current 737-800’s, ranging from 7 to 19 years old. While the E-Jet-E2/A220 will replace the Boeing 717’s, which range from 15 to 22 years old.

“All of the next-generation aircraft we’re considering have the potential to drive big improvements in trip cost and overall efficiency, and they’re great platforms for delivering a better premium service to our customers.”

Alan Joyce has also mentioned that Qantas is looking to have the announcement for which aircraft have been chosen by the end of 2021, with firm orders to be completed by mid-2022.

So, what’re your thoughts? Which aircraft should Qantas’ choose to replace its current domestic workhorses? Let me know your opinions!

Thanks for reading and have a great day!
Adam

14 Likes

This is very exciting news! I’m glad Qantas is expanding their fleet!

1 Like

Project Sunrise and Winton… Interesting, but epic.

2 Likes

They’re probably going to lean more towards airbus due to their reliability.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure they’re gonna go A220.

2 Likes

Interesting the Fokkers haven’t been mentioned…

4 Likes

I feel they’re more likely to go for the 737 MAXs to replace their -800s, because it’ll cost less for pilot conversions. I also think the E2 is a great fit for the airline due to their ever-growing fleet of E190’s owned and operated by Alliance Airlines.

I am a bit unsure about the A220/E2, because I feel that either one is great for what they’ll be serving.

This is probably because they’re consolidated to Western Australia and their FIFO (fly-in fly-out) operations for miners. The Fokkers work really well in that climate.

1 Like

I’m a big Boeing fan but I feel like airbus will cut them a big discount deal for the A220/A320 family since they already operate the A330, A380, and A350 for the future.

1 Like

Plus, they’d have to negotiate with embraer and Boeing when they can just negotiate with airbus, we’ll see

1 Like

Definitely not putting it out of the question. Though I don’t see the A320neo being a great option, even though they’ve already got a huge order for Jetstar. The A320 family as a whole works really well for low-cost airlines as a majority.

I don’t see it fitting with the Qantas scene, but we’ll know by the end of the year.

What I would consider a big factor in this deal come to think of it, Boeing may also get the contract with the ongoing dissatisfaction of the AUKUS scandal going on between France and the Australia*

1 Like

I think the MAX for the first one.
The max just has so many great features to it. Especially because these will be flying to smaller airports that may or may not have jetways. I think the max because of how low it is to the ground. I’m excited for the future of Qantas

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.