Qantas A330 Crosswind Landing at Narita

What a cracker of a landing! Looks a little tough to control the lanky A330-300 during a storm.

Could you call this a hard landing?

10 Likes

What a great landing in horrible conditions, poor passengers, though, must have been a little freaked out

4 Likes

Looked nicely done. Definitely not a hard landing, looked extremely smooth given the conditions!

The airbus flight mantra is ‘guide the path’ which means small corrections to the flight path but let the FBW pick up a wing drop. Doesn’t feel comfortable in a crosswind!!! You can end up feeding in PIO if you’re not careful.

Narita is always a pain in a crosswind. Lots of low level obstructions cause low level turbulence however I’ve always found it more comfy in a 777 as you can hold the into wind aileron!

6 Likes

On any flight if I see the pilots I always say thank you but on a flight like this totally

1 Like

It’s like there never was a crosswind…

1 Like

Looked like a textbook crosswind landing. NRT is notorious for high winds, it makes for a challenging approach.

1 Like

no i can’t do that

if i crash the plane ill just say it was the co pilots fault

4 Likes

Lots of wing flex🛬 tho

1 Like

I was on a Qantas A330 flying into Narita with winds like this back in early 2009. This might’ve been my flight 😂

2 Likes

There was a bit of a bounce from the front gear after the main touchdown @Danman

Yeah, they look like cardboard in that wind!

1 Like

great video, showing the skills of the flight crew there! Actual touch down lokoed pretty smooth however am guessing in those conditions it was a VERY positive manoeuvre!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.