Q-400 in Aspen

Hello! Aspen Pitkin County Airport currently has an active NOTAM stating that no aircraft larger than the CRJ-900 are permitted. Does the Q-400 count as a larger aircraft? Thanks for the help!

3 Likes

No. You may fly the Q400 :)

4 Likes

Ok, thanks for the clarification

2 Likes

If I’m not mistaken, I believe the TFRs are based on aircraft class size, not each individual aircraft. For example, the CRJ is size B, while the Q400. The restriction states A320/B737/CRJ1000+

The first two aircraft in that restriction are size C, meaning the Q400 would be fine.

You can check out all IF aircraft sizes here:

1 Like

If its ICAO is rated C, does that have anything to do with Class Charlie Airspace?

1 Like

Well, I think that a Q400 can fly there, because Frontier had a flight on their Q400 from Denver to Aspen.

2 Likes

Yes, it can handle Q400. If you go into ifatc.org(if you haven’t already) it says Q400 as claas C

1 Like

Nope. A class Charlie airspace is a busy airport with instrument approaches. It’s protected in a way that you need a mode C 4096 transponder (Encodes altitude) and need to be in contact with ATC prior to entrance. You can be a Cessna 172, or an A380. Size doesn’t matter.

1 Like

Great! Thats the clarification I needed. I already assumed that it was certified due to the fact that Frontier flies there to and from Denver

1 Like

Regardless if airport have specific gates to handle it, the TFR says no aircraft larger than CRJs can be there, both sources linked above agree that CRJ is class B and Q400 is class C

2 Likes

I edited my original post. The restriction states A320/B737/CRJ1000+

Those first two are size C just like the Q400.

But yes, just because a real life airline flies somewhere with a certain aircraft doesn’t mean that then doesn’t apply to the TFR. In this case however, the Q400 is 100% fine in Aspen.

2 Likes

Answered!