PSA: Some Samsung tab users

PSA: Some Samsung Users are unable to get 21.1

Some Samsung users are unable to update to 21.1 and further, despite having 64bit processors, this is because for some weird reason Samsung runs 32 bit versions of Android on 64 bit processors. At this time it appears to only affect Tab A users.

DJI forum summed this up pretty well:

To those who are helping in support please read this:

Please look up the device because half of you are saying that they don’t have 64bit devices, even though they do, and it’s OS limited.

9 Likes

From what year is your current device?

1 Like

I believe this only affects A models (maybe also old S models?).

(Tab S6/S7 works fine)

1 Like

So my Galaxy tab A (2019) is a no?

2 Likes

If you properly read the initial post, you would see the issue only affects a small number of devices. If you also did a little research, you would see the issue isn’t with Android, but with Samsung for limiting a 64bit capable device with a 32bit OS. Samsung also haven’t made the device tree nor kernel easily accessible, and as such there is no custom 64bit software for these devices either.

It is indeed unfortunate, but it doesn’t affect “android users”, it affects a small number of Galaxy Tab A users :O

9 Likes

Samsung Galaxy Tab A 2019 8" are using ABI arm64-v8a - which means it’s able to support 64bit applications, so there should not be any issues there.

6 Likes

Huh, because a lot of tab users are showing their 64 bit processors but web says it’s a 32 bit OS, and coincidentally they can’t install it since 32bit got axed.

There are different models. Could you be looking at the 2016 model?

2 Likes

No, I looked up the model number (2019) that’s where I got the link to that DJI forum. I’ll look again.

1 Like

I have a Tab A 10.1 2019 and from the app AIDA 64, it shows that it’s has 64-bit CPU but running in 32-bit mode. Therefore, no update available.

2 Likes

Yea thats what I mean. For some unbelievable reason, samsung put a 32 bit os on a 64 bit processor.

1 Like

This is not as uncommon as you might think. However, certain guidelines in Play Store has never been indicating that it should be able to and then have the device not doing it…

1 Like

I don’t get it either. I mean it makes zero sense…especially in the 21st century when companies are wanting to make phones/tablets as fast and as powerful at possible….

After my pro sub ends, I’ll be gone until I get another tablet 🤒…oooh well

Okay, there seems to be some internal confusion in Play Store about this as well.
Sometimes when you pull up the Samsung Tab A 2019, you get something called “Kids Edition” which apparently is compatible. Next time you do the same check, you get Galaxy Tab A 2019.

This is why we can’t have nice things…

6 Likes

I think i will do the same! I will save money to get a tab s6 lite because my current device is so laggy with the new update.

2 Likes

Ok lemme get this straight, I need only and a 64 bit processor and android 7.0 or newer to run infinite flight BUT some tablets can run 64 bit but run 32 bits?
So how do I prove my tablet is running 64 bits?
Because I checked and it says 64 bits

Sorry if this has been cleared already I just dont understand

The “octa-core” bit isn’t relevant here. From the last screenshot you posted, it seems as if your tablet has a 64bit processor, but Samsung have installed a 32bit version of Android (look at the “Instruction Set”, where it says it is running in 32bit mode).

We specifically need the “ABI” section to say arm64-v8a or x86_64 for the app to be able to run. Sorry about this!

6 Likes

Wait so in theory If I get out of open beta can I go back to the previous version?