Proper procedure when contacting Departure ATC

Is it necessary to “Check in” with Departure ATC after taking off ir do you just request Flight following your flight plan? Especially when ATC is busy?

Flight Following is used when your airport you’re flying to is outside of the departure controller’s frequency. Unless you are flying within his sphere of control radius always use flight following

1 Like

You check in only if you get handed off from another frequency (such as Tower)

2 Likes

Thank you…was not sure of the proper procedure.

1 Like

If you get handed off and are flying to an airport outside the range then don’t cause unnecessary chatter, just request radar vectors or flight following. Especially when there busy.

2 Likes

That is what I figured. Dont want to muddy the waters as it were…Thank you

From a Radar controller:

Check in is used when you are flying IFR, usually in a commercial airliner. It tells the controller that you intend to follow your filed flight plan, and allows them to vector you if there is a conflict with other traffic. This will be used the most often. It can also be used when you are handed off.

Flight following is used only when flying VFR, usually in GA aircraft, and states that you basically want to do your own thing unless there is a conflict with other traffic.

6 Likes

I’ve had several IFATC tell me other stories. Is this the actual response we should be using? most IFATC tell me flight following is the proper response in commercial flights.

1 Like

Check out this tutorial.

3 Likes

I’ve always been told to use flight following when I’m on departure and tuning in to approach/departure in a commercial flight.

1 Like

You check in for IFR.

1 Like

Well thank you. Apparently, I’ve been misinformed. Good to know.

2 Likes

I just wanted to clarify so everyone is on the same page! Flight Following on Infinite Flight is a service that can be requested by a pilot if they have filed a flight plan. Approach/Departure controllers can acknowledge this request and pilots will be expected to continue following their flight plan.

So “checking in” or requesting FF with departure is completely fine if you have a correct FPL filed!

3 Likes