Proper Center Etiquette/Procedures

Hi controllers,

With the new update - I think I have it pretty well understood. One question - when I first tune into Center, I’m a little confused the proper order I should do things. Right now this is what I do:

1. Check in
  2. Request Approach
  3. Request Decent via ____ STAR
  4. Await handoff/vectors

I have had every controller tell me to proceed as requested/continue as filed but I still feel like I’m doing something wrong.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hey! When you tune into center, you just check in. You can then request descent via your STAR around 10nm before your top of descent. Often it depends if approach is active but when it is, there is no need to request an approach on center, you do that on initial contact with approach.

Hope that answers your question!

2 Likes

Thanks much, I just felt like I was doing something extra… this makes sense, asking for the approach was my extra.

2 Likes

I guess on the flip side - when there is no approach (for example right now @ ENGM) just a Center and separate G/T/A - should I should ask the Center for approach at some point or just “continue as filed” (assuming I have a proper FPL w/STAR that coincides with the ATIS instruction) ?

1 Like

Glad this thread popped up as I had a question as well! Let’s say I just tuned into Center frequency as I’m on my descent, would I then still request descent via STAR or would I then just request approach?

2 Likes

Probably just request approach already on descent they would tell you if not approved…

1 Like

You can request an approach when you are descending via your STAR and around FL180 is my go-to. Center can also tell you “say approach request”, and then you can request then.

@Anshul28 Again, I believe that is dependant on if approach is active. If it isn’t, you can just request approach. Not really sure what to do if it is as I’m yet to encounter that.

2 Likes

Understood! Thanks for the quick response!

3 Likes

@TRDubh Thank you!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.