Progressive taxi

Just saw the progressive taxi command what does it mean?

2 Likes

It means ATC will give you specific taxi instructions. For example, if there’s an aircraft ahead they want you to avoid, they’ll say “expect progressive taxi instructions” then say “Turn left on next taxiway.” Once they’re done instructing you, you’ll be given a message telling you to resume your own navigation.

9 Likes

K thank you!

So basically for those really confusing airports?

In RWA, progressive taxi is the term used for how ground taxis planes to and from the runway. “Taxi via Charlie, left on Mike, cross 27L hold short 27R…” etc. (because I know there’s at least one of you out there…I just made those up on the fly…wasn’t thinking of a real airport.)

We now have a modified, simplified version which allows for simple left/right turns, 180s, runway crossings and the like to help reduce the instances of “face-offs” or “stare downs.”

(Or pilots simply taxiing with zero preparation into a dead end, not that that would ever happen.)

18 Likes

Im not deleting this post btw. I want orhers to see it.

Its a simplified « Taxi via Mike, hold short at November… »
I don’t know if my answer means something but this is how I see it 😅

So…here’s the thing about progressive taxi I’ve found on the first day I’ve been allowed to use it:

When receiving progressive taxi, perhaps slow down a beat so you can actually react to the instructions.

(No one should be taxiing at 40 knots anyway, especially in the XCub)

4 Likes

I was airborne at that speed already! 🤣😂

2 Likes

It seems like everyone has it wrong or I can’t read
You would request progressive taxi when you are at an un familiar airport and don’T know how to get the runway or parking and they (ATC) will tell you how to Get there by saying make next left or right or where ever they want you to go

In IF, yes, it’s left/right.

In RWA, they’d use taxiway names.

No they will say make next left and right

Either one meets the definition.

http://www.faraim.org/aim/aim-4-03-14-206.html

1 Like

Is it even possible to request progressive?

In real world, yes. If you get turned around or lost. Not in IF.

1 Like

It’s to try and get rid of loads of traffic taxiing to 1 Runway when there is 2 👍🏻

As stated beautifully by the website SkyBray in accordance to progressive taxi:

USES: Progressive taxi instructions are issued on a step-by-step basis and are used:

• When requested by the pilot (e.g. due to unfamiliarity with the aerodrome).
  • When deemed necessary by the air traffic controller (e.g. due to construction works, closed taxiways, etc.).
  • In accordance with local instructions (e.g. during reduced visibility if so prescribed by the relevant manual).

BENIFITS: * Reduce the chance of a runway incursion, especially at complex aerodromes or when runway crossings are involved.

• Reduce the chance of an aircraft getting lost at complex or unfamiliar aerodromes.
  • Reduce the chance of an aircraft being at a wrong place (e.g. wrong taxiway intersection, ILS sensitive area, getting stuck and needing pushback, etc.).

ISSUES AND CONSIDERATIONS: * Increased workload for the air traffic controller. Giving progressive taxi instructions means that the controller should divert a lot of attention to a single flight.

• “Tunnel Vision” – it is possible that the controller gets so preoccupied with one aircraft that they may neglect other situations and have their situational awareness reduced.
  • Increased frequency occupancy. Breaking the taxi clearance into several parts means several calls and readbacks, which may result in a frequency congestion (i.e. several stations that need to or try to transmit at the same time). This, in turn, easily leads to frequency blocking, need for repetition and further increase of the occupancy.
  • Overuse of progressive taxi instructions may lead to reduced efficiency of the traffic flow due to the increased controller workload, frequency occupancy and possibility for aircraft holding for further taxi instructions at an intermediate position.
  • A request for progressive taxi instructions may mean that the pilot is unsure about their position. Therefore, the use of a pilot’s report for confirming their location is not advisable.
1 Like

I agree with @ElMaestro, it is advised to slow down during progressive taxi enabling you to have more time to react to instructions given by ATC. I also agree with @Ryan_1872, progressive taxi may also be used to lessen trafic, as many airports have multipe runways that can be utalized at once, for example at SFO they use 1L and 1R while using 28L and 28R. In this case if your taxing to 28L progressive taxi may be used to avoid departing traffic on 1L and 1R.

Hope you found these two posts helpful.

• Jster82x
3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.