Progressing through ATC

Before I enter the shark tank of ATC, I would like to start off slowly. As time progresses, I would like to wean off of Unicom, and add more frequencies (for lack of a better term) until I am comfortable with a full ATC flight. Is this possible? And if so, how? Are there any airports that have ground only so I can get comfortable with that first?

3 Likes

This is one option you could try. Check out there Basic Pilot Training Program.

4 Likes

I don’t think that there are airports that only have ground. I only know of airports that have tower only such as TNCM. If you want ground only you can practice taxing around with a friend as ATC. I would be happy to help. If you need help with commands there are topics in the Tutorial section. Hope this helps. 😀

3 Likes

I’m already in the mentorship program. I just passed class 3 today, so I am on the cusp of live ATC. Reading through the forums, there seems to be a ton of information to absorb at once. This explains my step by step interest.

3 Likes

Pick through the tutorial videos and guides that you need. I know IFMP goes through a lot of that too. Could also do a Flight of 2 with an experienced person. Only the lead pilot has to communicate with ATC. All you need to do is follow instructions and your lead pilot.

2 Likes

There are quite a few tutorials to check out on Youtube. There are ones that only focus on how to use unicom and the how to use atc at different stages of the flight. I suggest you go and check those out. Then if you’re still unsure about certain commands, there is an entire forum here to help you out!

1 Like

Well, I have to say there is really not much to learn when comparing to what pilots have to learn about ATC IRL so don’t scare yourself so soon.
I would suggest you to learn how to control as ATC, which means understanding what the ATC want you to do. This can help you get more comfortable with ATC as you know what you are doing and can understand what ATC want you to do.
And please do check help pages if you were told to do so

I personally discourage people do “training” by flying in the training server as you will most likely learn the wrong thing.

You can spawn in and observe ATC operations on ground and tower frequency in the expert server, just observe how people respond to an instruction and you will know what to do next time facing a similar situation

4 Likes

I have spawned in a few times just to listen in on ATC. I’ve even changed my callsign to OBSERVE or LISTEN, but I keep getting prompted to contact ground, even though it’s another frequency I want to listen in on. Not sure how else to tell ATC (other than ground) I just want to listen in. Ignoring puts me in a category of “they don’t listen to me.”

2 Likes

If your on TS I would go ahead and just try different stuff. I mean it won’t hurt to try if you think this is what you do.

1 Like

Was this on TS? If you’re on expert you should be able to sit at your gate for hours without doing anything. Especially at a busy airport, ATC is a lot more concerned with all the planes on the ground moving around as well as inbounds, than trying to get a stationary aircraft to tune into ground.

One thing is though, you might get swiped off or given a frequency change by accident as we want to get rid of as many planes as possible when they are no longer up to us to control.

1 Like

If you’re ever on training I’ll never let you tune into tower when you’re at the gate or taxing (duh).

1 Like

Yesterday I was at KLAX on expert I let a guy sit at the gate tuned to tower. He didn’t say anything so I just let him be. I had like 20 aircraft to take care of i was not about to waste time with him. As long as he doesn’t clog up frequency or start pushing back, im fine with it.

1 Like

Tell me when your open again, I find that to be very confusing, even when it’s not busy. Also, I can’t ghost people for not listening so there’s that.

2 Likes

Yep if someone tunes into tower and you don’t want him to you’ll just have to live with it :)

1 Like

Was either TS and/or casual. I don’t have the XP for expert yet.

I could just jump in full force - I could do no worse than those who are clueless.

1 Like

@DaYooper, are you trying to ask how to do ATC controlling, or being the aircraft with ATC instructions?

Kind choice… As a controller it is ultimately your call!! Have a great week.

1 Like

i don’t believe in spawning and listening in. FLY IT on TS1. At max, you will crash and burn, but no one cares if you crash while learning. Most importantly try to follow all instructions that ATC gives you - it’s quite basic, really - turn heading this, turn heading that, descend to X feet, fly hdg X until established on the localizer etc…

Please read the tutorials below and watch the awesome video Mark Denton has made about ATC communication, and then jump in. Fly into an airport manned by ATC on TS1. You will love it!

I would also advise learning about patterns and sequencing while you are at it - thats the most complicated it gets, really. If you know well what “left downwind, right downwind, left base, right base” etc means - you should be good to try it out.

1 Like

Being the aircraft with instructions. I could probably find an airport with tower only, and land at an airport with Unicom - do that a few times until I’m used to it. Then add tower/departure, etc.

1 Like