Just a few quick notes guys. This is from a KC130 guy, and from our pubs which are used by NATO, so that everyone has the same understand and no mishaps occur.
This is not super in depth, just a few key points.
First, brief the plan, set the altitude to rendezvous, and ensure you have a general speed range, and of course a bingo fuel limit!
- When approaching the tanker, ensure you have clearance to join.
- When joining, you form up left echelon.
- Once formed, the tanker gives clearance for one or two aircraft, depending on the tanker, to move astern to the probe or hose.
- Once steady astern, you then attempt to make a play, clear you for contact.
- When you have your required fuel, request permission to form up in the echelon right
- Once all aircraft are formed echelon right, you can then request from the tanker to disembark on the planned route.
Just a quick down and dirty for those who don’t know. :)