Procedures for Appealing Violations and Providing ATC Feedback

Introduction

With the recent UI changes, I thought it would be a good idea to update my previous tutorial on handling appeals and feedback.

For this tutorial, I have created a scenario in which a pilot needs to reach out to an IFATC controller. The aim of this tutorial is to provide a step-by-step guide on how to message a controller and handle appeals, including visual examples. For more guidance on in-app information, please check out the User Guide.

Common Reasons to Contact an IFATC Controller

• Violation Resolution
  • Clarification and Feedback

Violation Resolution

The most common reason why pilots will reach out to an IFATC controller is to discuss a violation that they received. If you have received a violation that you may disagree with, there are two ways in which you can appeal the violation:

Option 1: Messaging the Controller

We highly recommend choosing this option. The best way to understand the reasoning behind a violation is to discuss it with the person who issued it to you. In most cases, knowing why a violation was issued is the best way to avoid it happening again in the future. If the controller made a mistake, you or they can add the appeals group to your message and they will take over. To do this, scroll to the top of your private message chain. Under the initial message will be a box showing the topic information. At the bottom of that box, click “Add or Remove” → click “+” → type “appeals” → click “Send Invite”.

Where Can I Find Who Reported Me?

The first step in resolving the violation is finding out whom to contact. There are currently two ways to find out who reported you:

Method 1: Violation Notification

Anytime you receive a controller-issued violation (level 2/3), a screen will appear notifying you that you have been reported and disconnected. The name of the user who reported you will be at the bottom of that screen. Violations can be issued by all IFATC controllers when they are open on a frequency. In addition, Infinite Flight Staff/Moderators and IFATC Supervisors can issue violations as a pilot. Regardless, you will get the same screen.

Method 2: Your Replay

Another way to find out who reported you is by checking your replay. All flights and ATC sessions are recorded and saved locally to your device. To access your replay, tap on the three lines in the top-left corner → tap “Logbook” → tap on the specific flight → tap “Replay”.

Once the replay has loaded, scroll to where your violation occurred. This will be shown with a red line on the time bar. In the messages, you will see who reported you.

IMG_4200

How do I Contact The User?

All violation inquiries must be handled via private message here on the forum. If you message the user on Discord or any other platform regarding violations, you will be directed to the forum.

To create a private message, click on the “+” next to “Messages” in your sidebar. This can be accessed from clicking on the icon that shows three horizontal lines. From there, you will need to input the username of the controller under the “Add users or groups” tab.

All IFATC controllers’ forum usernames will be the same as the username you saw in the app.

Option 2: Messaging the Appeals Team

The @appeals team is composed of veteran IFATC controllers and supervisors who are authorized to review and remove violations. They can be added to your message if you choose option one, or they can be contacted directly.

You must have your replay in order to appeal the violation.

In order to message the appeals team, click on the “+” next to “Messages” in your side bar. This can be accessed by clicking on the icon that shows three horizontal lines. From there, you will need to input “appeals” under the “Add users or groups” tab. Another way to do so is to click on the mention above and click “Message”.

Pro Tip: To expedite the process, click on this link and fill out the template.

Public topics regarding violation inquiries are not permitted. All communication must be handled privately using either of the options above. Please direct users to this post if they create a public topic.

Users must be at trust level 1 in order to message other users. However, the @appeals team can be contacted by anyone, regardless of their trust level.

Regardless of the option that you choose, you need to be respectful. We understand that receiving a violation is not a pleasant experience, but disrespect will result in the violation being upheld and the discussion being closed. You can appeal your violation within seven days of it being issued, so waiting a few hours or days until you are calm is perfectly acceptable.

Example

Clarification and Feedback

The main priority of IFATC controllers is to ensure that all pilots within their frequency receive a safe and efficient approach. With this being said, mistakes will happen from time to time. If you do not agree with an aspect of your service, please feel free to reach out to the controller via private messages. Public topics will be closed. Similarly, as mentioned in the “Violation Resolution” section, all communication must be respectful and in a calm state.

Example

Who Was Controlling?

Finding out who was controlling depends on what state you are currently in within the app:

State 1: On Frequency

If you are currently on the controller’s frequency, all you need to do is click on the headset icon. The name of the controller will be listed in the top left-hand corner of the box.

State 2: Not On Frequency

If you are not currently on that controller’s frequency, you will need to open your replay to find your controller. To access your replay, tap on the three lines in the top-left corner → tap “Logbook” → click on the specific flight → click “Replay”.

Once the replay has loaded, scroll to the time when you were on the controller’s frequency. Next, click on the “States” tab. Next to “Com 1 ATC Name”, you will find who was controlling at that time.

How Do I Contact The Controller?

To create a private message, click on the “+” next to “Messages” in your sidebar. This can be accessed from clicking on the icon that shows three horizontal lines. From there, you will need to input the username of the controller under the “Add users or groups” tab.

All IFATC controllers’ forum usernames will be the same as the username you saw in the app.

What If I Need To Escalate?

If your message regarding an IFATC-related issue needs to be escalated, @Drummer, @JoshFly8, and @Tyler_Shelton would be your points of contact. The three of us oversee ATC operations and leadership groups. We can be reached using the @ifatcmods inbox. To add our inbox, scroll to the top of your private message chain. Under the initial message will be a box showing the topic information. At the bottom of that box, click “Add or Remove” → click “+” → type “ifatcmods” → click “Send Invite”.

This inbox should only be used as a last resort to add to your message. Please try your best to resolve the disagreement with your controller first. Do not message this inbox directly. We will not respond if this inbox is messaged directly.

This inbox is for IFATC-related issues only. For all other issues, please contact @moderators.

Closure

Thank you for reading this topic. We hope this will make communication between pilots and controllers as productive as possible. Please link this topic where applicable, so all community members may reach a resolution as efficiently as possible. If you have any questions or comments, please let us know below!

74 Likes

Bookmarked! Thanks Drummer.

4 Likes

Very insightful Drum Drum 🥁✈️
Thanks for the post

3 Likes

Bookmarked! Very useful - thanks Dummer!

3 Likes

Thanks Drummer! Very informative topic. This will definitely help a lot of members.

3 Likes

Thanks Drummer! This will really be useful!

3 Likes

Thanks for making that! Hopefully it helps and clarifies anything anybody had questions about! Very informative!

5 Likes

Thanks for making this! It’ll help lots understand the process and also why they were reported.

3 Likes

This is such a simple but effective guide on the process on how to communicate with IFATC controllers regarding violations and also how to provide feedback to controllers whilst ensuring to be respectful.

Awesome guide and thanks so much for writing this up!

3 Likes

Thanks Drummer! That’s more than awesome! It would be a great help as a clear guide for everyone to know the correct appeal process!

3 Likes

Great topic. However, I have seen some situations that greatly disturb the simulation and can be quite annoying. I’ve been a commercial pilot for 12 years and I’ve been a flight instructor for 5 years. Some of the rules set out in the Users Guide do not necessarily correspond to reality. Today I went through an absurd situation during a vector approach by a controller. A far cry from common sense and how operations occur in real life. I know we have platform and gameplay limitations, but how can we contribute directly with the exchange of experiences and information? How far is what is discussed here actually applied in InfiniteFlight?

5 Likes

Have you directly contacted the controller? This is the best way for your concerns to be fixed in future services

2 Likes

Hi Drummer. Hope you’re doing well. Yes I did. But I’m not talking about just this situation specifically. I’m talking about general issues. Problems that I have found daily.

1 Like

The User Guide is currently open sourced! You can contribute yourself and fix mistakes! Let me find the link.

2 Likes
1 Like

Glad to know. Thanks for answer me!

3 Likes

Hi, I got a level 1 violation for over speed, in my defence this was because vnav was on and the aircraft didn’t slow down. This is ultimately how I got ALL of my violations, each and every one.

2 Likes

Level 1 violations can only be removed if it was an app glitch. Inadequate planning when it comes to reducing speed is down to the pilot.

1 Like

Some of the details of your scenario were discussed here (relates to pilot managing the speed resulting from vnav descent) :

1 Like