Procedure for no more A380 gates?

Hello everyone, I have a probably obvious question but it’s stuck on my mind and I want to hear your opinions!

So with the release of the A380 round the corner, and most A380 destinations not having a lot of A380 gates, for example London Heathrow only has 24, and LAX has 9 in the Tom Brad. Terminal and so on, say LHR is full of A380s, meaning all 24 gates are occupied, what do you think the procedure for arriving A380s only is? 🤔

Possibilities could be:

1. Diversions although other airports don’t really support the 🐋?

2. Possible holding patterns?

Or

1. Simply use cargo stands and aprons although that’s not realistic?

My guess is Option 2, how about you?

3 Likes

JFK has 4 or 5 💀 You honestly might have to just have planes wait for an open gate…

7 Likes

I agree with number 2, but the problem with holding patterns is that people could take a really long time on the ground and that could cause the plane in the air to run out of fuel and have to divert. That leads to the next problem is where you have busy A380 airports like KLAX, KSFO (etc), that don’t have many alternate airports given that most of the airports in the area are little regional. So I’m quite curious what IF is going to do.

1 Like

Agreed, same with EGLL, if you Have to divert then you really have not much options apart from EIDW, EGCC, EGSS and EGKK, though I’m not sure about EGSS.

This will be interesting though…

1 Like

Another thought that comes to mind is if another A380 spawns in the available gate which airborne A380s are waiting for.

2 Likes

Because of this i fly from Dubai OMDB! They have a lot of A380 Gates

1 Like

I propose a battle to the death. Pure fists, last man standing wins.

14 Likes

Battle of the Heavies part 2? 😂

Even Dubai will likely fill up at times today. It only has like 70 something, which might seem like a lot, but it’s not loads.

Also, ok yeah fly out of Dubai, but then you are landing at the destinations that don’t have many gates. You’re probably better off going the other way.

1 Like

Pretty sure that’s why the schedule is changed o include OMBD today.

1 Like

Thats true. 😬🤔

1 Like

This is the exact reason why I will stick to the casual server for the next week or when the hype dies down. I don’t want to run into this issue on the expert server in plus I hate the expert server

My guess is holding patterns, or waiting on the ground til gate is free. Probably up to the choice of ATC.

I’ll give a real answer now.

The likely scenario is that aircraft will have to wait on the ground. Radar controllers will likely be swamped with the aircraft, and they will continue to allow aircraft to land - arrival aircraft have priority over departing aircraft. Not doing so creates a bottleneck and makes the radar controllers’ lives even harder. As for diversions, I don’t anticipate that being the situation on release day, and the decision to divert will likely remain the pilot’s choice.

7 Likes

Okay noted, thank you for your opinion! Yeah that would make sense.

1 Like

Or you just choose non-busy airports. 🤷‍♂️

1 Like

Yes but most pilots will be flying to/from EGLL,OMDB,KLAX,PHNL and RJAA

Simple solution is don’t fly the A380 straight after release but no one is going to do that, maybe like a handful of people, but 90% of people are going to fly the A380 and popular routes…

It shouldn’t be tooo bad though according to what @Thunderbolt said, worst case scenario it will be holding patterns but me personally I love them, just adds a sense of extra realism and it’s how it is in real life

2 Likes

In real life i’ve experienced being on a plane that doesn’t have a gate to go to, in that case we just parked on a taxiway out of way of other planes for about 15 mins before heading to our gate. In that case fuel wouldn’t be a problem.

3 Likes

Yes but you cannot park 10 A380 on one Taxiway

2 Likes

EIDW doesn’t have taxiways to support the aircraft wingspan ;)

1 Like